PDA

View Full Version : electrician please help me

reefnewbie54321
08/19/2007, 10:38 AM
I have hadx this retrofity kit from hello lights for a year and never set it up.

It provides a wiring diagram on the ballast and my father is a general contractor and he took it to his electricians and they said they didnt know how to wire it.

Anmy help would be appreciated.

Heres the link to the wire diagram,

http://www.gelighting.com/na/business_lighting/education_resources/literature_library/ballast/downloads/specs/HID/Metal_Halide/M150MLTLC3M.pdf

JetCat USA
08/19/2007, 10:47 AM
assuming you're using standard 120v input, cap off the Black, Violet and Orange wire on the input side, use the Yellow and Black/Yellow for your 120v input. Yellow to White and Black/Yellow to Black, Green to ballast case.

hook the bulb and startup cap just as they are shown in the diagram and plug it in.

reefnewbie54321
08/19/2007, 12:44 PM
Thank you ... your info helped me alot but when I was trying to wire it up I came across a few problems, I understand that i need to cap off the black violet and orange wire then use the yellow and black and yellow for my extension cord with the green as a ground on the ballast case

what i got confused with was hooking up the starter and capitor

I hooked up the to red cap wires to the 2 blue wires from the capitor

i hooked up wire 3 from the ballast to wire 3 on the starter but I dont know were wire number 2 and 3 form the starter go??? In the diagram it looks like #2 goes to the yellow com wire from the ballast but its already being used to wire the extension cord???

AND

were does the red/black wire that says lamp and the #1 wire from the starter go??? in the diagram it looks like they both go to the lamp sockets white and black wires.

am i correct with my setup???

I tried to make a diagram on paint and post it but it wouldnt let me upload it

Theres 9 wires coming out of the ballast

red wire that says lamp
grey wire that says #3
black wire that says 120 volt
black wire that says 227 volt
purple wire that says 240 volt
2 red wires that says cap
orange wire that says 208 volt
yellow wire that says com

theres 3 wires coming from the starter

blue wire that says number 1
yellow wire that says number 2
red wire that says number 3

theres 2 wires coming from the capictor

2 unlabeled blue wires

Then theres 3 wires coming from the extension cord

1 green wire
1 white whire
1 black wire

Then theres the reflector with the lamp socket and this has 2 wires coming from it

1 black wire
1 white wire

JetCat USA
08/19/2007, 12:54 PM
tie the yellow from the ballast, the white from the lamp socket, the white from the extension cord and the yellow from the starter together with a wire nut, those are all COMMON grounds.

black from the lamp socket, blue wire on the starter and red wire from ballast thast says BULB go together

the Cap gets hooked to the two red wires on the ballast that say CAP

Gray wire from ballast to red wire #3 on starter

Green wire from Ext cord to ballast case

Black wire from Ext cord to Black/Yellow on ballast.

JetCat USA
08/19/2007, 01:01 PM
NOTE: some cap's are polarized (they have a + and a - side) please note polarity when connecting, if it's non polarized it can go either way it doesn't matter.

reefnewbie54321
08/19/2007, 01:17 PM
Just want to say thanks alot, I never would have been able to figure this out if you hadnt helped me. I thought I was screwed when the elctricians didnt even know how to hook it up ... guess they were just being lazy

JetCat USA
08/19/2007, 01:19 PM
You're Welcome.