PDA

View Full Version : keeping a Bta

yellowwatchmen
08/19/2007, 11:27 AM
What is the perfect enviroment for a bta. I have a 40 breeder tank. with abot 40lbs of live rock. My lighting is a coralife aqualight 2x96 watt pc (dont have it yet should recieve in about a week). I dont have any live stock yet but i am going to get my first fish in about a week. Would this enviroment be fine for a bta. I was going to get one before i start getting corals so it can pick its spot and i wouldnt have to worry about it harming any other corals while trying to find one. I am asking because my friend has a bta and he wants to get rid of it. so right now it is in the fuge with just a flood light for lighting.

tkeracer619
08/19/2007, 11:47 AM
Your two pc bulbs would be better than a flood light.

Many wait 6 months to a year before attempting a bta. They need a stable system.

yellowwatchmen
08/19/2007, 11:57 AM
yes that is why i was wanting tio buy it from him. he has it in his fuge in a net. My tank is about a month old.
Here are ther perimeteres. (API test kit)
ph-8.3
ammonia-0
nitrates-0
nitrites-0
salinity-1.024

tkeracer619
08/19/2007, 12:03 PM
I doubt that anemone is very happy atm. Hope hes selling it cheep.

yellowwatchmen
08/19/2007, 12:07 PM
it was in his setup and he re aquascaped and he didnt want to deal with it moving all over the tank again. He said he would sell it for five bucks. 3-4in diameter.

tkeracer619
08/19/2007, 12:13 PM
It doesnt sound like it was happy in his tank either. BTA's tend to move till they find a spot they like, then they hang out for a long while.

Mine move everynight but come out to the same spot each day.

$5 is cheep for a bta. How long has your tank been set up?

yellowwatchmen
08/19/2007, 12:18 PM
it was happy. it was in the same spot for 5-6 months. he just redid the rock and it started to move again and he didnt want it to hurt any corals. sa he got it off the glass put it in a net and put it in his sump. About a month.
ph-8.3
ammonia-0
nitrates-0
nitrites-0
salinity-1.024

Tested about 5 min ago.

yellowwatchmen
08/19/2007, 02:32 PM
bump

uscharalph
08/19/2007, 03:16 PM
It would be much better off in a more established tank than yours, but your tank is better than where it is now.

IslandCrow
08/19/2007, 03:31 PM
I'd highly discourage you from getting a BTA at this point. The 6 months people use as a minimum for the tank to stabilize is a very good rule of thumb. I'd suggest a year if you haven't kept anemones or corals before. That lighting may also be insufficient. Almost everyone who's had long term success with anemones of any kind uses MH lighting, and a fair number use T-5s. A few people will tell you they've had success with PCs, and that may very well be true, but they're the exception.

yellowwatchmen
08/19/2007, 04:07 PM
Will it be ok to keep it in my tank until i find a good home for it? Or should i just not worry about it? it is inhis fuge in a net with one of those clip on lights.

aninjaatemyshoe
08/19/2007, 04:18 PM
"I'd highly discourage you from getting a BTA at this point. The 6 months people use as a minimum for the tank to stabilize is a very good rule of thumb. I'd suggest a year if you haven't kept anemones or corals before. That lighting may also be insufficient. Almost everyone who's had long term success with anemones of any kind uses MH lighting, and a fair number use T-5s. A few people will tell you they've had success with PCs, and that may very well be true, but they're the exception."

I've kept many BTAs and they are simply much easier than any other anemone (aside from aiptasia or mejano that is). My first ever was a poor looking hitchhiker on a piece of live rock that looked near the brink of death. It thrived in my 24 gallon aquapod (PC lighting) that had been established for just about 6 months. If these conditions were poor for it, I seriously doubt it would come back from such a sickly state and thrive. I have kept more BTAs since then, all with great results. However, the do appreciate stronger lighting than PCs. It would be fine in there until, but you should buy some better lighting for it.

yellowwatchmen
08/19/2007, 04:22 PM
Ok thanks guys i will hold off on getting a bta. Thanks for all the replies!

wrott
08/19/2007, 06:02 PM
If you want it--get it--it's going to die soon anyway in that net, and should live fine in your tank. I believe this is what most people are trying to say--go for it !!

yellowwatchmen
08/19/2007, 07:49 PM
Oh! ok i must of been reading it diffrently then what it was supposed to mean.

yellowwatchmen
08/19/2007, 08:00 PM
I just called him he said I can have it for FREE he will give to me tomorrow. The anenome is not in bad condition it is actuall very healthy except for the fact it ha been in his fuge for a week. Any ideas on how to acclimate a bta.

onecrzyboi4u
08/20/2007, 12:58 AM
poor bta...

coralnub
08/20/2007, 10:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10588292#post10588292 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IslandCrow
I'd highly discourage you from getting a BTA at this point. The 6 months people use as a minimum for the tank to stabilize is a very good rule of thumb. I'd suggest a year if you haven't kept anemones or corals before. That lighting may also be insufficient. Almost everyone who's had long term success with anemones of any kind uses MH lighting, and a fair number use T-5s. A few people will tell you they've had success with PCs, and that may very well be true, but they're the exception.

The op's 40 breeder is also only 16" tall. He can probably get away with PC's.

yellowwatchmen
08/20/2007, 05:31 PM
I was thinking about that also i have some rock about a inch from the surface.