PDA

View Full Version : anemone help!!!

mdvistnes
08/19/2007, 12:27 PM
Can anyone help me with suggestions on how to detach multiple anenomes from large chunks of live rock? My once predominantly sps and lps 180 gal reef tank has slowly become an almost anemone only tank as 2 small anemones have divided into about 10 beasts that have sytematically mowed through my corals as they relocate and divide. I've concluded the only way to get rid of them is to take out the rocks one by one and try to detach them somehow then take them in to the LFS. I'd prefer not to kill then but I've recently become so aggravated I've considered sucking them out with a garden hose. They never move onto the plexi or I could get them off easily. They are all bubble tip or rose tip anemones. Thanks for any suggestions and beware anyone thinking of putting an anenome in their tank for a clown fish home......

speedo2wet
08/19/2007, 12:31 PM
Man good luck, I am not sure. I wish I could get mine to attach. for some reason mine was doing well and now it's closed up and has not attached in a while. It seems like it is trying to recoop.

Hormigaquatica
08/19/2007, 12:41 PM
Really difficult to do without damaging the anemone. You can try taking cold packs and holding it on their foot, then slowly work a credit card type thing under as they release. Sometimes works, often doesnt.
You may have to sacrifice the rock and just pick up a few new pieces.

reefshadow
08/19/2007, 01:05 PM
Call local LFS's and see if they would give you good credit for the anemones attached to the rock. Then transfer each large rock into a 5 gallon bucket w/ water and use a hammer and chisel to break it up into pieces w/ individual anemones on them.

Use the credit to buy some new LR.

Would love to see some pics of all your 'nems!

davocean
08/19/2007, 01:07 PM
I'd put them in sump w/ a powerhead pointing at them.
Ice also works.
Trading for new rock is cool too, LFS may like them attached.
You should get decent credit for them.

rynon
08/19/2007, 01:17 PM
IF THEY ARE ON A FLAT ROCK you can use a pen cap to detact them. I work at a lfs so I know all about this....if they are deep inside a rock........good luck. If they are on flat rocks simply use the smallest part of the pen cap to GENTLY place under the foot of the anemone......working slowly around the base of the anemone, usually once you have a half or three quarters of the anemone off it will pull off WITH NO damage. Another alternative...this is risky.....you can break the rock. Use a drill or something to start a "fault" line and then use a screw driver to break the rock.........DO NOT break the rock NEAR the foot, you'll tear it. The second approach would just leave more rock in your tank and not at the LFS. Have fun....BTW you can make a LOT of money on these things.

mdvistnes
08/19/2007, 09:14 PM
Thank you everyone so much for the help - got my project for the week lined up!