PDA

View Full Version : lighting for maxima clams

Moonstream
08/19/2007, 01:34 PM
would 65 watts pc and 75 watts VHO lighting be good for a golden maxima clam in a 20L tank? is it okay for any clams?

Hormigaquatica
08/19/2007, 01:59 PM
I think you would be OK with that lighting wise. Id have no doubts about something like a deresa, squamosa, gigas, or Hippopus

Aquarist007
08/19/2007, 02:39 PM
It might be a good idea to feed them twice a week with cyclopeeze

Peter Eichler
08/19/2007, 03:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10587983#post10587983 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
It might be a good idea to feed them twice a week with cyclopeeze

Cyclopeeze is way too large for a Tridacna clam to utilize, in fact target feeding it or feeding too much of is could stress out a clam. If you want to feed your clams it's best to stick to phytoplankton or other foods under 40 microns.

To the OP, I wouldn't do a Maxima with that lighting. I'd suggest a Deresa or Squasmosa if you really want to do a clam.

Moonstream
08/19/2007, 03:45 PM
okay thanks, will look into that. I asked because I really wanted this one
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?ddid=24847&siteid=20

isnt it cool? there are some really nice clams in their divers den.

Moonstream
08/19/2007, 03:46 PM
would only the PC be okay?

Peter Eichler
08/19/2007, 04:01 PM
Clams in general should have very established aquariums. By putting one in a younger tank with insufficient lighting you're just asking for trouble. You might be OK, but your aquarium is less than ideal for any clam really.

Aquarist007
08/19/2007, 04:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10588172#post10588172 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Peter Eichler
Cyclopeeze is way too large for a Tridacna clam to utilize, in fact target feeding it or feeding too much of is could stress out a clam. If you want to feed your clams it's best to stick to phytoplankton or other foods under 40 microns.

To the OP, I wouldn't do a Maxima with that lighting. I'd suggest a Deresa or Squasmosa if you really want to do a clam.

gee Peter--you sure are doing a wonderful job helping me with my misconceptions---a I say that in a very appreciative way.

The question then is why am I feeding cylopeeze to my tank then and not just phyto--the only fish I have that seems remotely interested is a small anthias?
I have been feeding a mix of phyto and cyloopeeze to my tank twice a week on the advice of who else--the LFS :o

Peter Eichler
08/19/2007, 04:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10588485#post10588485 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
gee Peter--you sure are doing a wonderful job helping me with my misconceptions---a I say that in a very appreciative way.

The question then is why am I feeding cylopeeze to my tank then and not just phyto--the only fish I have that seems remotely interested is a small anthias?
I have been feeding a mix of phyto and cyloopeeze to my tank twice a week on the advice of who else--the LFS :o

Cyclopeeze is a very good food and it's very usefull for zoanthids the will capture prey, LPS corals, and may be small enough for certain species of SPS (though typically rotifers are best for most SPS).