PDA

View Full Version : sick torch coral?

bigfun
08/19/2007, 03:57 PM
ok posted this a while ago, but got no answer, any help here, i'm getting real concerned!
http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=332

thanks!!!

cloak
08/19/2007, 04:13 PM
Might have just been "poop". Normal behavior. Give it a week or so and see how it reacts to the new lighting. Don't think those T5's are going to burn it up.

mltmtascp
08/19/2007, 04:14 PM
Our leather coral did that when we changed the lights and the guy at http://www.coralreefaquatics.com/ told my husband to rub it off. You can call him and ask him what to do. This worked for the leather. He is local to us and is knows a lot about corals.

bigfun
08/19/2007, 04:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10588530#post10588530 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cloak
Might have just been "poop". Normal behavior. Give it a week or so and see how it reacts to the new lighting. Don't think those T5's are going to burn it up.
i'm starting to think you are right as the coral is now opening up and all appears normal, i guess this is the first time i witnessed this! it's a beautiful thing and i would hate to lose it! thanks to all for your replies!

bigfun
08/19/2007, 07:05 PM
hey cloak!
i just checked on him and he is fine all stretched out and happy!
thanks again!
now i know what it looks like to see him poo! and won't freak out the next time!
thanks!!!

magdelan
08/19/2007, 07:21 PM
My Torch "poops" often. Just like his daddy :D

kathainbowen
08/19/2007, 09:31 PM
Torches often poop, and this sounds most likely for your situation.

Torches are easily get the great "brown slime jelly." It is exactly what it sounds like, a brown, jelly-like goo which forms on injured or dying heads of the coral, usually where there is a recession, cut, or injury to the flesh of the coral. However, there is something delightful about LPS corals. They give us a wonderful indication of their condition by their polyp extension and coloration. A torch coral would rarely just suddenly get brown jelly for no reason. Poor water quality, bad care, too low of lighting, or other direct trauma to the coral (including other corals stinging or fish nipping it) would help cause this, but you will generally get a first heads up in the coral looking in poor shape. The polyps would be closed up tight, and you could also be starting to see recession of flesh. All too often, it can be difficult to get a head back from having brown slime jelly unless the problem is caught quickly and addressed (both by dipping and by adjusting whatever has obviously caused the damage to the torch).

Of all the Euphyllia, sadly, torches are the least hardy. They are, by far, gorgeous corals, but I prefer to the frogspawns and hammers, particularly the branching varieties. While the walls can be a bit dodgey (since they're tough to easily collect/frag due to their structure), branching frogspawns and hammers frag and transit fairly well. It's very unfortunate that torches cannot be this tough, since they are often sold as a beginner lps coral like the other member of Euphyllia.

However, since everything is quickly going back to normal with the torch, and since it even sounds like you're getting normal polyp extension back quickly, I wouldn't be too terribly concerned by it. Corals need to expel things sometimes. Even plate corals and scolymias will almost throw up to purge food stuffs that they discover (much too late, as it's in them by this point) are too large for them to really digest.

bigfun
08/20/2007, 05:23 AM
great info!
thanks!!
just checked on him again, and all appears well!
thanks again!

bigfun
08/20/2007, 01:10 PM
ok this is so awesome! i just checked on the torcj again and it's splitting!!!! what used to be 4 heads is now almost 5!! i wonder if the discharge has something to do with that! anyway i'm very excited!!!
thanks again!!!