PDA

View Full Version : Recommend some high light requiring sps for me.

hobbzz
08/19/2007, 08:24 PM
I have some room in the top back of my tank that I'd like to fill in with some LR I have in my sump. Right now all my rock kinda evens out at the highest level, and I'm not a fan of the "book shelf" look. Up until now I didn't fill the gap in the back with rock, because every piece of coral I currnetly have bleaches when placed that high, so I kept the rock in my fuge.

I've tried a pocillipora, pink birdsnest, and a millie. Although the millie was damaged due to a leaking bag bringing it back from the F&S swap, so that could be why that one bleached. All the other corals I've tried that high up are coming back. The birdsnest has completely recovered, and the poci is coming around.

Tank is a 20L. 96w of T5 with Icecap reflectors and Triad ballasts. Bulbs are about 5-6 inches off the water, and the two in back where this rock/corals would go are an ATI blue plus and an Aquasun (10k). Anything back there would be about 2-4 inches below the surface, and therefore 7-10 inches away from the bulbs.

SO...I need some suggestions for an very high light demanding (or at least high light tolerant) sps...what do you guys say? :)

JetCat USA
08/19/2007, 08:41 PM
Yellow Leather, Yellow Branching Porities, Green Horn Coral, Pipe Organ, Fire Coral, Flower Pot, Green Maze Brain, Pink Cat's Paw, Green/Cactus/Flowering Pavona, Green Australogyra, and most any Acro.

hobbzz
08/19/2007, 08:48 PM
Green horn...is that hydnophora? I've been looking for some of that for a while. An lfs in town has a couple of pieces but they're covered in hair algae so that's a no go. I've actually got a nice fiji leather, but I had to move it down to the bottom to get it to open fully. What's the cats paw?

JetCat USA
08/19/2007, 08:57 PM
Hydnophora Rigida is a horn coral

Stylophora is a Cat's paw

EDIT:

here's my Hydnophora Rigida, the small one in front was supposed to be an encrusting variety...........i have a different opinion on that.

http://i11.*******.com/67s3kv5.jpg

JetCat USA
08/19/2007, 09:07 PM
noticed it doesn't look so good in that pic lights off via a flash, here is a shot that shows what it looks like with lights on, it's mostly the flock of Bangii but you can see the polyps extended nicely. one of my favorite corals.

http://i9.*******.com/5y88hag.jpg

hobbzz
08/19/2007, 09:53 PM
The two pieces at the lfs were encrusting. A local reefer has a nice piece I've been hinting at getting a frag of. :D That's a very nice colony you have. Also one of my favorites.

I've been looking for a nice stylo piece also, as I've always liked those. I'm a big fan of lots of PE in sps.

JetCat USA
08/19/2007, 10:21 PM
I'm looking for and I'd love to get a nice Fiji Yellow Leather but every one I've ordered always comes in DOA, and I've ordered at least a few dozen over the years, and I've never found one locally :(.

hobbzz
08/19/2007, 11:23 PM
I had the same problem for years. I just went to fragapalooza in Chicago with some other people. After that we checked out 5 or 6 area stores and I lucked out and found a really nice one at sea schor. If you're anywhere near Chicago I'd give them a call.

If you're still looking for one, I was at the Live Aquaria swap and they had some nice ones that all looked really healthy. Pretty big too. Plus they have their 14 day gaurantee.

JetCat USA
08/20/2007, 12:03 AM
I'm WAY south of Chicago, right off the gulf coast :)

I've ordered several times from Live Aquaria, they are DOA every time :(

Horace
08/20/2007, 06:06 AM
To me, that smaller coral looks like a pocillapora

JetCat USA
08/20/2007, 06:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10592130#post10592130 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Horace
To me, that smaller coral looks like a pocillapora

Nope, it's a Hydnophora Rigida too.

http://i14.*******.com/66oxwn7.jpg

leeweber85
08/20/2007, 05:52 PM
JetCat-

Do your cardinals school togther? I always thought you weren't supposed to keep more than 2 together.

Sorry to get off topic.

leeweber85
08/20/2007, 05:58 PM
double post

JetCat USA
08/20/2007, 05:59 PM
Yes, they'll school till they reach maturity and start to pair off. in some cases even then they'll get along if they are from the same brood, which the 5 above are.

when they start pairing off I'll move the pairs to different systems rather then chance the 3rd wheel taking the aggression of the pair/pairs. if they are all female, then i'll just keep the 5 together :)