PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of white haze on glass?

Fishy27
08/19/2007, 10:24 PM
I have a 72 gallon reef tank. My friend was moving and had a 155 bow front sitting in his garage for 6 months or so. He said I could take it so I upgraded. I cleaned it out with warm water and gentlely used a razor. I wiped it clean and everything looked fine, so filled it with RO water. Once the tank was completely set up and cleared, I put the lights on and noticed a white haze on the glass. I tried to clean it but would'nt come off. I used a razor again and scrub pad and nothing. I didn't notice this until the lights were on and you could see it. I was wondering what this is and if anything can be done while the water is in or the tank glass is stained and in no good? I hope someone can help.

boviac
08/20/2007, 01:48 AM
You mean like water spot stains but all over? I've tried soaking the stains in vinegar - without the water in it. Don't know if I can recommend anything further except more elbow grease with the razor and see if you're making an improvement. If so, then that's your route, if it is worth it too you. Consider your time vs. new tank costs. I too got a good deal on a 125 but after I've spent three times cleaning it, I'm wondering if I'll be able to use it.

ScottL4619
08/20/2007, 01:05 PM
I actually have the same problem on my 125g on the back glass only. I bought it used from a friend and they had a mirror on the back side so they could see from different angles. I'm guessing that since the mirror was pressed up against the back glass for so long, the salt just sat there and crept into the glass over the course of many years. I tried everything possible to get rid of it. And in my case, you can see the tank from both sides, so it's really frustrating. I didn't notice until filling either, so it was too late at that point.

I have tried using vinegar (taped bags over paper towels soaked in vinegar), razor, petroleum jelly, and some other assorted mild chemicals. Nothing I have tried has worked. Until I can get a new tank setup, I've just learned to deal with it.

If someone has a tried and tested solution, please post it and I will be willing to test it on my glass.

Fishy27
08/20/2007, 05:44 PM
I 'm going to contact a custom aquarium builder, I hope they can help. Maybe a glass cutter will know but thanks for the response and if I get any help I will let you know.

Ritten
08/20/2007, 08:51 PM
Fishy, please do let us know, I am having the same problem.

Fishy27
09/03/2007, 06:10 PM
I spoke to all glass Aquarium and they told me if white vinegar doesn't work to use CLR. They said use this and clean with a glass scraper. Then you should rinse tank very good. I did try it and no results but maybe my stains were from sitting for a year, but I descided to get a new tank.