PDA

View Full Version : macro algae id (.doc attached)

malicemethods
08/19/2007, 10:53 PM
what kinda of algae is this?

malicemethods
08/19/2007, 11:05 PM
.doc attached

kiknchikn
08/19/2007, 11:08 PM
Looks kind of like the shaving brush or painter's brush plant.

malicemethods
08/19/2007, 11:12 PM
I went to the LFS and i saw something that looked like it. maines hair. But the lfs guy said that what i have is probably not maines hair. I didnt buy this algae but it was just growing on this rock. the guy said that it might be a type of cheta too. ive had this for about 7 months and it grew from a couple of strands to the ball that you see. Another lfs guy said that it might be a bad kinda of algae that will take over the take and be a pain. but i havent had any problems with it. it was in my display for about 7 months and i just moved it to my refugium.

kiknchikn
08/19/2007, 11:13 PM
It's not attached to the rock?

malicemethods
08/19/2007, 11:14 PM
it is attached to the rock. it is growing out of it. it wasnt a problem in my display. should i just keep it in my refugium? do you know what it is?

kiknchikn
08/19/2007, 11:16 PM
No I don't know for sure, but if it's growing slowly and it hasnt gotten into the main display then it's probably ok.

melev
08/20/2007, 01:18 AM
That looks pretty coarse to me, thus I'd say Bryopsis.

kiknchikn
08/20/2007, 08:09 AM
So he should probably remove it then? Just incase it finally explodes and gets into the main tank?

I'm curious of what to do in those situations, where you have a potential pest in your tank that is growing extremely slowly and isn't acting pest-like. Should you remove it anyways just incase, even though it looks kind of cool? Or just let it be?

I had a similar situation with some halimeda that has been in my main display for about 4 months, but has barely grown and hasn't spread. I finally removed it (after I found a hydroid on the same rock and removed that), but I'm kind of regretting it because it looked cool and wasn't hurting anything (yet).

Amphiprion
08/20/2007, 09:34 AM
I don't think it is Bryopsis (though it very well could be a similar species or a Bryopsis variant)--doesn't seem to be pinnate. My closest guess would be a Cladophora spp. (which is a bit tougher to get rid of than Bryopsis, since it can withstand low nutrients fairly well).