PDA

View Full Version : they're everywhere!!!!!!!

lakwriter
08/20/2007, 04:25 PM
Over the past few months, I've come to notice hundreds of baby turbo snails. Yes, hundreds. And I only bought 2 turbo snails...

Anyway, some are still specks, while others are about 1mm. How long do I need to wait before I harvest some for fellow reefers or for credit at my LFS? How big should they be?

My tank is only 29g, so keeping them all is not an option. I'll keep some, but I cannot keep hundreds.

mosthated00
08/20/2007, 04:41 PM
lol, depends on how big the lfs wants them before they will take them, you got time, they dont grow to fast,..

Travis L. Stevens
08/20/2007, 04:45 PM
Most likely they are colonista snails. Turbo Snails are broadcast spawners and the larvae rarely make it to adulthood before being devoured by inhabitants in the aquarium.

rynon
08/20/2007, 04:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10596313#post10596313 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Travis L. Stevens
Most likely they are colonista snails. Turbo Snails are broadcast spawners and the larvae rarely make it to adulthood before being devoured by inhabitants in the aquarium.

Yup, I agree, couldn't think of the name....they look like tiny turbos.

lakwriter
08/20/2007, 04:53 PM
But I only have turbos and Astreas. Where would these colonistas come from? There had not been any recent additions in like 6 months when I first noticed them.

Are these colonista snails reef safe and/or desireable? Are they still worth keeping/sharing/selling?

But again, I have no idea how I got them.

Travis L. Stevens
08/20/2007, 05:00 PM
They come in as hitchhikers and do a wonderful job at cleaning. There are also "mini turbos" as they are called that are about the size of Colonista Snails, but aren't Colonista Snails. These, too, are good guys.