PDA

View Full Version : Deformed skeleton? help

72olds455
08/20/2007, 10:09 PM
I just picked up my candy cane that has been growing well (or so I thought) to frag it. When I touched some of the polyps they seemed to only have very little skeleton and was not attached to the rest of the colony except be the flesh. Other areas of the coral also seem loose when touched. They almost feel like wiggeling a kids loose tooth. My calcium has always been low and I cannot seem to get it past 350. Is this the problem? What should I do? My other stonys seem fine.

HELP
David

72olds455
08/21/2007, 03:39 PM
Bump...please anyone?

currentking
08/21/2007, 04:39 PM
get a buffer and add to get calcium up

Sk8r
08/21/2007, 04:45 PM
I'd suggest a kalk reactor: cheaper than a calcium reactor, can be DIY'ed and will get your calcium AND alk up. Consult the diy forum.
What's your lighting like? I'm using a 250 mh over mine, and my reactor keeps cal at 430 and alk at 9.4. I'd say yes, check 3 things: your alk, your cal, and your magnesium---if that mg isn't 1300, bring it up gradually with Kent Tech M. THen buffer gradually with Kent DKH buffer to 9.3, and start adding calcium. [Kent Turbo Calcium] until you get it over 400.
You can make a kalk reactor out of your topoff reservoir with a stirring pump on a timer, and your regular topoff putting it in per evaporation. Read about it on DIY or Reef Chemistry. The poor coral is dissolving its own 'bone' to keep going. Also watch your ph and keep it in the 7.9-8.3 range.