PDA

View Full Version : Emerald crab - good or bad?

JC_UF_ITK
08/21/2007, 07:14 AM
I just found some bubble algae on a rock that I can't get to and taking the rock out to clean is not preferable. I know that emerald crabs are supposed to eat bubble algae, but it says they will also eat corals/inverts. Does anyone have any pros/cons of emeralds or do I just need to bite the bullet and take my rock apart to get rid of the algae?

rustybucket145
08/21/2007, 07:19 AM
never had an emerald eat a coral.... that I'm aware of... I have about 4 of them in my frag tank... never noticed anything missing.

darkcirca
08/21/2007, 07:22 AM
I have 2 as well and never had a problem. I saw him last night picking around my new green star polyp, but checked later and he must have been just eating stuff off the rock.

Ismellikefish
08/21/2007, 08:06 AM
I had 2 bad emeralds..... First one ate my GSP > was actually pulling on the purple mat the GSP is on...

Second one I got attacked a fish of mine and it died 2 days later.
Had a large 1" slice on it's side ( I had nothing else in the tank capable of that kind of cut )

So long story short, no emeralds in my main display....They are both doing great in my fuge tho :)

greenbean36191
08/21/2007, 09:56 AM
Whether they'll eat bubble algae is really hit or miss, especially if the bubbles are large. How well behaved they'll be is a crap shoot too.
They're like the murderer on the 6 o'clock news, where all of the neighbors always say, "He always seemed so nice. I never would have expected anything like this from him." Usually they're well behaved for a while and suddenly something snaps and they turn destructive.

After having one come after me for getting too close in the wild, I definitely won't put one in my tank.

Davidb6
08/21/2007, 10:34 AM
Have a em crab in my tank for about 3 months with no problems at all. Have a little bubble algae and I've never seen him picking at it. I wish he would.

Aquarist007
08/21/2007, 10:41 AM
I have three emeralds in my tank for the last 9 months without any problems and they have controlled algae----
but we can't lose sight that they are considered oportunistic carnivours--so if fish are on on the menu they are going to order it.:)

loosecannon
08/21/2007, 10:52 AM
Greenbean`s right, it`s hit or mis, eating coral or algae. I sper them with a sharp stik ,and sux out the inside at the same time with a hose.

boiler_2000
08/21/2007, 01:04 PM
Ive had one for about 2 months with no issues. Although I had a Sally that mysterisouly died the other day. Since Sally died, Greeny is out and about a lot more. Im starting to suspect he iced poor old Sally.

Not sure if they can be territorial with other crabs. I have about a dozen and a half blue and red legs and he leaves them alone.

I have also never seen him mess with my mushroom, xenia or GSP.

JC_UF_ITK
08/21/2007, 01:37 PM
I was able to pick most of it off with a credit card and suck it out with a turkey baster. I'll try this method for awhile to avoid having to buy one. Thanks for the advice.

sheepdog43
08/21/2007, 02:32 PM
Mine attacked my Xena first night I added it. He ate probably 40% of it and was pulling the stalk off the rock when I walked in.

He now resides in my fuge.