PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want a yellow tang

missyshrout
08/21/2007, 09:00 AM
SHE DECAPITATED MY FEATHER DUSTER.

Her name is definitely KILLER now. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

I can't move her to the all fish because I have the sailfin tang in there.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, just needed to vent because my 9 year old is tired of me saying "Kill the Fish" over and over.

So what the heck do I do about this, I can't find anything about tangs eating feather dusters, no wait she DECAPITATED it.

Actually the worm isn't in the part she decapitated so it should grow back I hope.

THe other feather duster seems to be ok even though it has a very sad shell.

Now my starfish has a leg that has been half - chewed.

Ok guys help what the hell is going on in my tank.

mikekman
08/21/2007, 10:52 AM
Hmmmmm something awkward about your tang. My tang is perfectly fine and hasn't harmed anything. Trust me, if I saw my tang nipping at one of my corals, it is being sent back to the store!

Net the fish and send it back to Reef Conn and hopefully you get store credit. If not, then take it to Pet Works. Over at Pet Works, Chris the manager said I could take my tang back to him and he would give me back nearly the full price of the tang.

pugman
08/21/2007, 03:40 PM
Melissa,
Feather dusters can drop there heads/feathers with out help of fish. Don't wory it will grow back. Generally tangs of all sorts do fine in reef aquariums. You can however bring it back. Unless you have seen the tang eating on the starfish I really don't think thats the problem. When stars get sick they fall apart like you discribed

mikekman
08/21/2007, 06:37 PM
Like I had said in a previous thread and what Jody said, yellow tangs are fairly good candidates in a reef tank. The feather duster may have algae growing on it and the tang nipped at it to get the algae.

Starfish........very common to see them fall apart when they are dying or sick. How long have you had it?

Also, maybe you have something bad in your tank? Maybe you have some kind of carnivorous worm like the euncid worm that will eat corals, inverts, etc. At night get a flashlight and look around your tank.

missyshrout
08/21/2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I noticed that the tube that was left does not have the worm in it and I can see some of the feathers on the duster. The other duster is doing ok.

I really don't know what happened to the starfish, he is just a little tiny orange starfish that I have had for about 3 months. He doesn't seem to be having any other problems.

I really like the Tang and think she's pretty, and Jody thanks for the offer of bringing her back but I am going to try and stick with it and see what happens.

And Mike, how often do you sit in front of your tank at night with a flashlight.:D :D :D :D

We have found some worms in the tank that burrow under the sand and they are segmented. My husband caught one of them and will try to take a pic but it is really small. Maybe someone has an idea of what it might be.

mikekman
08/21/2007, 08:21 PM
I don't spend any time looking at my tank with a flashlight because at the moment I have nothing going wrong with my tank :D

Lets see a pic of the worms. Probably something harmless I'm guessing.

missyshrout
08/22/2007, 09:05 AM
Ok, no time for the flashlight thing last night way toooooo tired. But hubby found the starfish missing half another leg and moved him into his tank to see if maybe it is just dying :( :(

Other than that I can still see the feathers on the feather duster missing half its casing so it seems to be ok.

I also have a question about my faux (fake) rose anemone. I have 3 Ocellaris clowns that haven't even gone near her. Is it possible to add another Ocellaris clown or is there any way too entice them over to her because as you saw with my new baby, he loves his anemone and rose is so pretty and looks a little lonely and yes I know I am acting like a girl.

So if you have any answers let me know.

missyshrout
08/22/2007, 09:14 AM
Ok here I am again. I think the culprit of the starfish caper is Herman the gigantic red hermit crab. He is huge. I think maybe much too big for my tank.

I think I can put him in my all fish tank, with the lion and others, but I want to make sure that he would be safe. The lobster is in there even though we haven't seen him.

Would that be safe for him?

mikekman
08/22/2007, 09:44 AM
Hermit is probably safe. He can take care of himself. As for the rose anems and clowns, no idea, I don't keep clowns and anems. Ask Joel, he might know.

missyshrout
08/22/2007, 10:09 AM
Oh, and the I Have named the new tomato clown cherry. My daughter has named the anemone bubbles.

micynyorkies
08/22/2007, 10:15 AM
Melissa,

The clowns just have to find the anemone. I wouldn't do anything special - just wait. They may never host in it, or, like my clown after a month or so, may wander by one day and fall in love. I would NOT get any more clowns for that tank. When someone does host in the anemone, she (or he) will become very territorial and chase others away.

missyshrout
08/22/2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the help Cindy. I just thought it was lonely and she is so pretty. But Clownzilla, Oscar and mini-me just don't even notice she's there.

But I guess as long as she is healthy she will be fine.

Oh, and I am still looking for names for the yellow tang and the sailfin tang.

So any ideas would be great.

micynyorkies
08/22/2007, 02:43 PM
Anemones don't need a clownfish. It is debatable whether there is a benifit to the anemone from having a clownfish host in it. The clownfish gets all the benefits (a home with a security system).

boviac
08/22/2007, 05:16 PM
Yes, some clowns can actually be detrimental to an anemone that simply may not even be able to handle a 'very active' clownfish; especially if the anemone's health isn't up to par.

I don't know if a rose anemone is a good host for a clown. They seem to be more like a mushroom than an anemone to me, i.e. more surface and less tenticles. Then again, I'm not a zoologist so I am not a judge in classifying these guys let alone describe potential behavior. ;)

missyshrout
08/22/2007, 05:55 PM
I totally agree with you Chris about the faux rose she has a very long body and short tentacles.

So maybe I will add a different type of bubble anemone and see what happens.

The one in my non-reef tank is doing great and her tomato clown loves her. It is really funny to watch Cherry (tomato clown) fly across the tank and just throw herself into the anemone like its a big blanket.

Rysam
08/23/2007, 12:43 AM
i have 2 gbta's and 2 occ clowns. the female loves a candycane and the male goes back and forth between one nem and the candycane.
they have been together for over a year. except the male, he's new-ish. they may or may not go for the nem. or one day they may wake up and get down on it. just wait it out. 3 clowns may also prove to be an issue, they may/will show agression to the odd man out.

boviac
08/23/2007, 01:23 AM
I have a bubble tip anemone that tends to split every 6-9 months. I would rather encourage obtaining anemone's aquacultured rather than taken from a real reef. Once removed -They don't grow back. In fact, I have one in my 29 that is pretty small but pretty well attached to a rock and not safe to remove w/o risk of death of the animal. However, when the main tank one does split again, one or both tend to wander once recovered from the split. While they are wandering it is easier and safer to pick them off the rock. If you are willing to be patient, next time mine splits, I'll be happy to give it to you. I hate having 1+ in my tank. For the record I think it just split again like 2-3 months ago.

missyshrout
08/23/2007, 10:23 AM
That would be great Chris I can wait it out. This hobby can be a waiting game anyway for lots of things.

I have a huge hermit crab that I would like to give to someone he needs a bigger tank.

He is currently in my 50 reef. His shell is so big he has to dig himself a hole in the sand to get around things.

He is a great cleaner and I think he is called a scarlett hermit.

I tried putting him in the 50 fish only and he and the rest of the crew did not like it at all.

So if anyone would like to have him his name is Herman and he needs a good home.

He loves to eat bubble algae by the way if you have a problem with it.

Sweet wicked B*tch

missyshrout
08/23/2007, 10:26 AM
The clowns came with the tank from Cindy and yes mini-me seems to be the odd man out alot. I have seen Clownzilla (female) charge at him across the tank when she's ****ed at him. Oscar who is the middle will harass him also.

I may have to give him to my hubby for his nano that he is starting up and maybe he will be happier there without anyone to annoy him.

boviac
08/23/2007, 11:09 AM
I might like to give him (Scarlet Hermit) a try in my 29 with a Valonia problem. As of late, the Valonia appears to be steady if not slightly waning as I'm limiting the food input and doing bi-weekly 0.5 water changes by swapping a cup from my 50 to the 29 and vice versa. The 50 has a phosphate rx on it so I'm hoping that will help.

I had one when I first started with a FOWLR setup but then I got a puffer who I though would end up eating the crab so I sold the crab back.

boviac
08/23/2007, 11:33 PM
Cindy, by the way, I think anemone's can benifit from a clown; especially in an aquarium. Mine retrieves food pellets and then spits them out while in the anemone who quickly snags the dropped food. However, this may be due more to the processing of the pellet food not being immediately digestable than the clown willingly bringing food to the anemone. And in a tank with lower flow conditions than the anemone might prefer then the clown can aid in water circulation for intake and exhaust. Other than that it does seem to be more of a clown taker - anemone giver environment. Cheers ;) - Chris

Thanks again Melissa!!! I've got the hermit acclimating now and due to release in about 30 more minutes.

mikekman
08/24/2007, 09:38 AM
HERESY! You guys are trading before the meeting?:D :D :D :D haha joking.

How is the feather duster, starfish, and the yellow tang doing now?

missyshrout
08/24/2007, 10:15 AM
The feather duster is now in my husbands nano because it was on a tonka branch that he wanted really bad and it is doing good.

The starfish is in the 30 gallon with his buddy just like him and he is already growing arms back.

And the yellow tang is doing good also, she still has a little of the white face but she is eating well. But I still need a name for her.

I won't name her killer, she didn't know what she was doing. I hope!

So names people, gimme names.

mikekman
08/24/2007, 11:07 AM
Call the tang BRUTUS for what you said it did to the feather duster and starfish. I still think the feather duster may have just left its stalk and the starfish may have been dying.

I contribute the name "Brutus"

boviac
08/25/2007, 12:18 AM
Wow! That hermit has nearly decimated the valonia off one 95% dead coral. His efforts cause the remaining three polyps to retard but I believe they will come back.

missyshrout
08/25/2007, 10:54 AM
That is awesome!!

boviac
08/25/2007, 11:37 AM
Yeah! Now he's picking the smaller bubbles that have lodged against the Fluval's intake. He's nearly reduced the bubble algae down to nothing (except the places he cannot physically get to - top PH). Plus, I haven't really had anything in there to sift the sand much so lots of small detritus dust is clouding the water. Very efficient guy! Thanks!

missyshrout
08/25/2007, 04:28 PM
No problem!

We are now working on the flame angel, she has pop-eye and tail rot.

We have her QT'd in the nano and are hoping that the 20% water change will help in the all fish tank.

I hope she gets better, she wasn't a cheap fish.

If anyone has suggestions let us know.

boviac
08/26/2007, 12:09 AM
With both those conditions at the same time I would try to minimize any further stress on this fish. There are some fish medications, check LFS, but by the time you go to get them and begin application (especially on the weekend) it is often too late. But keeping yet-to-expire fish medication on-hand simply isn't economical either.

Neither symptoms you describe sound like a parasitic infestation that I'm aware of so Fresh Water dip would probably just stress the fish out more.

Try soaking its food in garlic solution - I have some I could give you as I don't use it very often. As long as it is eating it might have a chance. Maybe lower the light schedule on the QT tank if possible, too. More night time simulation helps the fish relax and lower stress. Sorry for the ill fish and good luck.

missyshrout
08/26/2007, 11:19 AM
We have her qt'd and quiet in the nano, there is nothing in it but rock right now. I am going to get some medication at petco, sorry guys but they have what i need cheap.

She is eating ok and the other fish don't seem to be affected at all.

So we can just give meds and keep her calm and hope for the best. And not being a cheap fish aside, I love all my animals and hate it when they get sick and usually cry like a baby when they die.

mikekman
08/26/2007, 11:40 AM
Melissa, no need to be sorry about shopping at PetCo. I shop anywhere that is cheaper. If that means going online, then so be it. Why am I going to pay 70-80 for a metal halide bulb locally when online I can find them for 50 including shipping? So if I buy 2 from the local store= 140-160 while online is 100 including shipping. I saved 40-60 right there!!!

I usually buy my corals online or from reefcentral members. I may buy a few corals or fish here and there from the stores but most of what I want, the stores cannot get or if they get it, its waaay too expensive compared to online stores.

Rysam
08/26/2007, 12:05 PM
if i need it, and petco has it... its mine, well not livestock. i also use walmart carbon because its cheap.ya gotta cut corners where you can.

shelbiesdaddy
09/07/2007, 01:04 PM
I am happy to say that both the starfish and the feather duster are doing quite well in my tanks. The starfish is growing it's legs back and has increased in size considerably. The feather duster never actually lost any of its feathers, just the top three inches of it's tube.

mikekman
09/07/2007, 10:20 PM
Good to hear! When you and Melissa going to take more pics of your tank? You have a camera.........put it to use!

If I had a camera, I would be flooding the forum with pics!

shelbiesdaddy
09/08/2007, 01:40 PM
Actually we don't have our own camera. The only time we have one is when I bring one home from work.

mikekman
09/08/2007, 01:57 PM
Take home a camera soon and show pics of the corals I sold to you guys.!

micynyorkies
10/07/2007, 02:59 PM
Just an update: Brutus the tang has joined the Tang Gang. They patrol the tank together.

http://www.micynyorkies.com/images/Tang_Gang.jpg

Also, notice the beautiful orange zoas - Thanks Melissa!

shelbiesdaddy
10/07/2007, 04:34 PM
OK. I have the other half of that orange zoa frag in my tank and it doesn't look anything like that. What position is it in your tank? What kind of water flow?

Brutus looks right at home!

micynyorkies
10/07/2007, 10:39 PM
High light, medium water flow. It took a couple of days to come around, but now is doing great.

shelbiesdaddy
10/07/2007, 10:44 PM
That is where I put it today. I think my main problem is that it is a favorite target of my giant emerald crab. He keeps knocking it onto the sand. It should stay put now.

missyshrout
10/08/2007, 12:34 AM
Cindy, Brutus looks so happy with the Tang Gang. If you don't end up keeping him permanently then I will be bringing you a new one to replace him.

We have finally decided that the 120 is going to be an all fish tank. We think its the best move because of the crack in the bottom of the tank. This way we can use less sand and not such heavy rock for them. Plus the idea of getting a few more exotic fish to watch would be cool. I still would like to have a blue hippo and a powder blue Tang