PDA

View Full Version : H. Magnifica Anemone placement advice

triggerfish1976
08/21/2007, 11:12 AM
I am optomistic that I will be getting my first H. Mag. tomorrow and I think it is the red base/silver blue tentacles color morph that I have been looking for.
In order to prepare to house it correctly I have created a large rock pile island right underneath a 400watt MH Aquaconnect bulb just for it to settle onto. I am theorectically pushing over 110 x turnover with the three waveboxes, Streams, and returns with penductors so as long as I get a healthy speciman I should be good to go. My only problem is, in the past I have had trouble with anemones floating around the tank when first introduced even when I turn off all of the Tunze equipment and they just settle wherever they like and I am ussually ok with that but since mags need such specific placement are there any tricks to temporarily secure it to the rock pile I have created?

traveller7
08/21/2007, 12:06 PM
Keep the rest of the lights off, raise/shield the target a bit in case there is some bleaching, cut back on the flow, possibly put a colander over the anemone while it attaches.

Best of luck.

triggerfish1976
08/21/2007, 12:35 PM
I like the colander and spot light idea.

MarinaP
08/21/2007, 01:33 PM
I use a colander to drain my nems after acclimation before placing them in the tank :D

Healthy magnifica should attach in a matter of a minute or two. Just hold it down gently with your hand. Wear gloves.

Good luck.

55semireef
08/21/2007, 10:24 PM
If you're buying a healthy Mag then it should settle pretty quickly. I would turn down your flow and once it's settled crank it up again.

Good luck.