PDA

View Full Version : No Windex on Aquariums Myth or Mythbusted?

Roland Jacques
08/21/2007, 03:43 PM
It seems that every where I go I hear some say not to use Windex (glass cleaner) on Aquariums. The only reason given is they think the Ammonia somehow well make havoc it there tank. Is their more to this because that makes no since to me.

Is no Windex on a Aquarium a myth??? Or is thier a good reason?

kevinohio
08/21/2007, 03:46 PM
i don't like Windex anyhow,
I use water and paper towel.
The ammonia cannot penetrate the glass, but i still would not use it.
If water does not do it alone maybe water with some vinegar

ludnix
08/21/2007, 03:50 PM
I use windex on my aquarium, it has a hood and I spray into the rag, not on the glass.

Roland Jacques
08/21/2007, 03:52 PM
But the question I have is Why. If you don't like it fine. I'm trying to understand what is Bad about Windex?

If it the ammonia that people are afraid of, then why? If it something else please explain.

Rue
08/21/2007, 03:55 PM
Just don't get it in the tank...I've been using it for years...

jdieck
08/21/2007, 04:01 PM
You can use Windez but spray it in the towel rather than directly on the glass Although my preference is white vinegar, it does a better job specially if you have salt creep or calcium caused incrustations or strikes.

Peter Eichler
08/21/2007, 04:02 PM
I believe windex contains very small amounts of ammonia and the amount in it probably wouldn't do much harm if a little overspray were to get in a tank. Other than water I believe alchohols are the main ingredient which in very small amounts shouldn't do much harm either (might even lower your nitrates ;)). Even the dye probably wouldn't cause any problems in small amounts since various dyes have been used for years in attempts to cure parasites. The detergents and frangrances would probably be the thing I would worry about the most.

I wouldn't exactly be spraying it around your aquarium. If you were to spray it onto a rag and then wipe down your glass I highly doubt you'd see any negative effects. However, why take the risk when there are perfectly safe cleaners that there is no need to worry about.

Kaos
08/21/2007, 04:03 PM
I've used Windex for years w/ no trouble. My current tank is an open top 10gal. that I have been using Windex on for 6 months w/ no troubles. I spray it right on the glass but I'm carful not to spray above the top of the tank. Other then my cycle I've never had a trace of ammonia show (w/ Salifert test kits).

Chef Reef
08/21/2007, 04:08 PM
i use just a towel and water from the tank.. its a natural polisher :) doesnt streak or leave salt trails... just dip the corner in the water and wipe down the glass and go back over it with the dry side of the towel. never used windex though...

bpd964
08/21/2007, 04:12 PM
I have been using windex for quite some time as well. I think it's fine unless you do water changes with it.. Other than that, I don't take chances with the mist getting in there. I do as others and spray in an old t-shirt and wipe away..

Roland Jacques
08/21/2007, 04:19 PM
I agree I like vinegar better also.

LFS are telling people not to use it lately I'm just curious where this started and why.

I hear it's because they say their afraid of ammonia getting in the tank. But the little bit of ammonia overspray. Even if you sprayed directly into the tank would probably not be measurable in a 100 gallon normal tank. I would think it should have no effect on.
anything. Possible less effect than 1 overfeeding.

Mark426
08/21/2007, 04:20 PM
As long as you dont get it IN the water.... BUSTED.

I read somewhere that it could migrate through the glass.... same guy also thinks 9-11 was in inside job :)

Roland Jacques
08/21/2007, 04:28 PM
Busted...
Yeah Peter.
The detergents and fragrances would probably be the thing I would worry about the most also. I just wanted to vent.

I had a customer today that saw my Windex and almost had a cow knowing that I was going to use it on her glass aquarium. I've always kept the spray away from the water.

I just wanted to vent a little.
Thanks all

miwoodar
08/21/2007, 04:31 PM
I totally agree with the folks who are pointing to detergents and fragrances. Be most weary of any product that 'smells nice'.

Roy G. Biv
08/21/2007, 04:34 PM
I've heard Glass Plus doesn't contain ammonia and is safe to use. The label says it contains bio-degradable ingredients.

virginiadiver69
08/21/2007, 04:34 PM
I say BUSTED. This is another one that people regurgitate out of habit.

miwoodar
08/21/2007, 04:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10604386#post10604386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69
I say BUSTED. This is another one that people regurgitate out of habit.

I'm still not going to let my wife use it, or any other chemical for that matter, anywhere near the tank!

coralnub
08/21/2007, 05:33 PM
FYI the blue color in Windex is copper ions in solution.

I always heard that windex would seep through the glass, but it seems bunk to me. Just don't spray it near the tank because a little will get in. It contains ammonia and copper.

AquaKnight
08/21/2007, 05:46 PM
How in the world could Windex seep through glass? Look at the ingredients in Windex, if it could seep through glass we'd all have a mess to clean up (water, alcohol, perfume, detergents, etc)....

Roy G. Biv
08/21/2007, 05:48 PM
I guess people get hung up on this because glass is a liquid.

RicGio
08/21/2007, 06:16 PM
copper in windex? WHY? Looks like blue dye to me!

ricwilli
08/21/2007, 06:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10604284#post10604284 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mark426
As long as you dont get it IN the water.... BUSTED.

I read somewhere that it could migrate through the glass.... same guy also thinks 9-11 was in inside job :)

Its funny how you mention 9-11. I'm actually watching "Loose Change 2nd addition" for the first time as I type this. Have you watched it? Very contridicting. But anyways, I've been using Windex with Vinegar and haven't had any prpblems.

HBtank
08/21/2007, 06:37 PM
lol, blue copper ions and liquid glass, this thread is creating more myths than it is busting...lol

snulma1
08/21/2007, 07:06 PM
If you prefer to use windex, then just go buy the wipes in a cannister. Thats what I use!

virginiadiver69
08/21/2007, 07:40 PM
I think it might be time for the tinfoil hats.

ahoyhoy239
08/21/2007, 07:49 PM
actually glass is a liquid, it flows, but VERY slow. there are churches in england built before medieval times with stained glass windows. the top of the window is much thinner than the bottom because the glass has flowed downward after all the years

EDIT: OK i stand corrected, i did a lil research and found this:

link (http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/gmis9844.htm)

Agu
08/21/2007, 07:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10605645#post10605645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69

In ten + years I've never used any kind of glass cleaner on the outside of my tanks. Smudges and wet spots are wiped off with a dry washcloth. When I'm using the magnetic algae cleaner it polishes the outside of the glass while cleaning the inside too.

justinzimm
08/21/2007, 07:57 PM
Don't use windex or any ammonia based glass cleaner if your aquarium is acrylic. Over time it will haze the glass and might even cause crazing. They make special cleaner just for acrylic. IMO it's just as good and safer to use a wet towel with vineger.

J

Badfishy
08/21/2007, 08:45 PM
man, justin beat me to it...windex is bad for acrylic tanks, causes the acrylic to craze.

SkyPapa
08/21/2007, 09:42 PM
Ive posted this in the past, but here goes again.

Clean your tank glass ( works on acryllic too) with fresh water on paper towells or a cloth and then wipe it dry with newspaper.

This is the best way to get a streak free surface.

I suppose windex works also but I got this from a contractor 30 yrs ago for cleaning windows on new construction houses.
And, yes, windex was around then.

ManotheSea
08/21/2007, 10:07 PM
I found that widex leaves streaks if there is any salt on the glass. Its the kind of streak that you gets your attention when you are looking for crystal clear and notice smudges. You wipe the smudge and it migrates to another area on the glass. Water alone cut the smudge. It seemed like windex and salt caused it.

Nano Chris
08/22/2007, 05:00 AM
I use windex with vintager the regular windex has ammonia-D in it, or i use water/newspaper to clean it if i can't get the streaks out.

loosecannon
08/22/2007, 03:41 PM
Myth I clean my tanks with it all the time.

kathainbowen
08/22/2007, 04:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10605171#post10605171 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HBtank
lol, blue copper ions and liquid glass, this thread is creating more myths than it is busting...lol

It's less that glass is a liquid and more that glass has been referred to as an "amorphous solid" in middle school chemistry classes that leave the term poorly explained and coming across as a "solid liquid." Amorphous solids are solids in which there is "no long-range order" of the positions of atoms. Why am I using all these quotation marks? Since there's still a question of a technical definition of amorphous solids, since some things that are considered amorphous solids show a short-range order or crystaline patterning in small places.

.... translation: people get easily intimidated and assume that, because someone who sounds smarter has told them something, it must be true.

As per my personal recommendation, I perfer soft towels or a squeegee (by the by, Mister Clean now makes small, cheap squeegees that you can find at your local grocer). No streaks either way.

kathainbowen
08/22/2007, 04:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10605645#post10605645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69

... I'm not drunk enough for that yet.

:beer:

Seriously. A bunch of my college roommates and I were drunkenly watching Signs and had to pause about midway through when we saw them all sitting with the tinfoil hats to make our own. I'm certain there are still pictures floating around on camera phones of the entire crew like that.

virginiadiver69
08/22/2007, 05:02 PM
I said tinfoil hat not lamp shade. ; )

korndogg091
08/22/2007, 05:06 PM
I use windex on my glass tank and it works fine for me, I used it before on my acrylic tank but it fogged it up.

kathainbowen
08/22/2007, 05:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10612187#post10612187 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69
I said tinfoil hat not lamp shade. ; )

http://www.coldfusionvideo.com/s/signs-e.jpg

If you watch Signs when highly intoxicated, you will come up with the same idea when you hit this scene, I promise you. And, if someone has a camera or camera phone, there will be evidence. It's like a terrible thing that you cannot resist. However, if any other movie is playing, it's all about the lampshade.... especially if the lampshade has feathers, lace, or other stuff hanging around the bottom.

:celeb1:

... thanks to Coldfusion if it allows me to hotlink.... and thanks to Joaquin Phoenix for wearing a tinfoil hat.... and thanks to Reef Central, since I have always wanted to find a use for that smilie.

acrylic_300
08/22/2007, 05:46 PM
I wax my tank with an orbital buffer and Kit Scratch Out. The first time I did it was to remove the hazing the Windex made on Acrylic. After that I liked it so much I do it every couple of months.

Once you slick it up with a wax job, a soft dry cloth is all you need to remove anything. The magnetic cleaner slides across a fresh wax job so slick that you cant even feel it pull.

As far as streaks go...I think windex sux no matter what you use it on.

fishdoc11
08/22/2007, 07:55 PM
I've used Windex for years on my glass aquariums, covered and uncovered. You just don't spray it in the tank or in a way where particulate could get into the tank. If that scares you just spray it in a cloth first. I do rub salt off with a dry towel first.
If I'm not mistaken another thing in Windex that's toxic is benzene.
Chris

rcerulli
08/22/2007, 09:48 PM
LFS told me the windex evaporates and the water sucks in the vapors

bureau13
08/22/2007, 10:27 PM
My theory is if you can smell it, its getting in the air, which means it can be getting in your tank. Of course, its probably not getting in in sufficient quantities to cause problems, but why risk it? I use a microfiber cloth and if I need to kick it up, I use the Novus spray, which is known to be safe.

jds

kirkland
08/22/2007, 10:50 PM
I keep an old kitchen toewl near the tank to wipe my hands dry and it's also used to buff off any water streaks that occur on the tank's front.

Roland Jacques
08/23/2007, 01:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10614240#post10614240 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rcerulli
LFS told me the windex evaporates and the water sucks in the vapors

See, this is what im hearing also. I've only heard this second hand. I was trying to find the root of this myth and what is it sucking up thats bad. I was told it was the ammonia!

Funny, Coralife use to sell ammonia as a tank start up product. Now it can hurt your tank if it is in the area!!!

reefer1024
08/23/2007, 01:42 AM
IN TANK = BAD
ON TANK= GOOD

iamwhatiam52
08/23/2007, 10:18 PM
I stopped using it because it doesn't get the coraline off and it's so hard to spray where you want it with the powerheads going.

davidryder
08/23/2007, 10:36 PM
This thread is tempting me to pour a bottle of windex in my tank... Anyone have a spare tank they can setup? 35g or so. A few damsels and a frogspawn, anemone, shrimp, and a bottle of windex.

Also, on the copper ion comment: :lol:

I'm not going to directly link, but if you do a google search for "windex harming saltwater tank" check out the 1st, 2nd, and 4th results. And even browse through some of the other ones. Whoever said it was right, it's just one of those things that people automatically regurgitate. If this thread started as "I think windex is harming my tank" there is a strong chance of it taking the direction of some of those other threads where people just blindly blame windex.

Blah blah blah this has been a good read :D

coralnub
08/24/2007, 12:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10622130#post10622130 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davidryder
This thread is tempting me to pour a bottle of windex in my tank... Anyone have a spare tank they can setup? 35g or so. A few damsels and a frogspawn, anemone, shrimp, and a bottle of windex.

Also, on the copper ion comment: :lol:

I'm not going to directly link, but if you do a google search for "windex harming saltwater tank" check out the 1st, 2nd, and 4th results. And even browse through some of the other ones. Whoever said it was right, it's just one of those things that people automatically regurgitate. If this thread started as "I think windex is harming my tank" there is a strong chance of it taking the direction of some of those other threads where people just blindly blame windex.

Blah blah blah this has been a good read :D

Seriously, I wasn't kidding, look it up. Windex is made mostly of water, ammonia, and copper sulfate (for color).

I still think it's fine as long as it's not getting in the tank.

I have a degree in chemistry, I didn't just pull it from my you know what.

Roland Jacques
08/24/2007, 04:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10622628#post10622628 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralnub
Seriously, I wasn't kidding, look it up. Windex is made mostly of water, ammonia, and copper sulfate (for color).

I still think it's fine as long as it's not getting in the tank.

I have a degree in chemistry, I didn't just pull it from my you know what.

Where do i look this up? It seems like it would be VERY cost prohibitive to use copper sulfate for color.

Steven Pro
08/24/2007, 05:27 AM
I take it most of you have not worked in a LFS before. It is the idiot factor. If you tell people they can use Windex, they are going to be spraying it all over the place and getting a bunch into the water. And most of the tanks that we are talking about are going to be little 10's and 20's.

t-bone2
08/24/2007, 05:29 AM
busted

Mark426
08/24/2007, 06:04 AM
I couldn’t stand it, so I looked up the MSDS. I also looked at a few of the tree-hugger sites about Windex. Coralnub is right, it does contain copper sulfate, that’s what makes it blue. Its in such a incredibly small quantity I cant imagine that it could ever hurt anything in your tank. I did learn something useful...Windex w/ Vinegar contains ZERO ammonia. So if your worried that the ammonia will magically ooze through your glass, that might be the one for you. I know ….. I need to get a life.

Mark

p.s. I just clean my glass with plan old white vinegar. I put some on a paper towel and wipe it on, dry the glass with another paper towel..... that works better than anything I know of...try it out...might be supprised.....cleans off the toughest stuff and leaves no streaks.

talon4x4
08/24/2007, 06:23 AM
I use Eagle One 20/20 Perfect Vision AutoGlass Cleaner. Works much better than Windex, IMO, and contains no ammonia. It leaves the glass with a smooth waxed feeling and it works great on any salt creep.

Kurt03
08/24/2007, 07:30 AM
has anyone else waxed there glass? It doesnt seem like a bad idea and would make it easier to clean/keep clean. Wouldnt take long at all either.

RichConley
08/24/2007, 08:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10623449#post10623449 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kurt03
has anyone else waxed there glass? It doesnt seem like a bad idea and would make it easier to clean/keep clean. Wouldnt take long at all either.

I'm tempted.

I love all the worry about ammonia. You guys do realize that theres probably more ammonia in a flat of PE mysis than an entire bottle of windex, right?

Kurt03
08/24/2007, 10:19 AM
i think i will do it, cant hurt anything.... or can it?

I heard there are nitrates in the paste car wax, so make sure you guys use the liquid!!!

;)

HBtank
08/24/2007, 10:32 AM
In the end vinager really is one of the best glass cleaners period, fish tank or your around your house.

Actually, vinegar and water, with newspaper.

After 14 years of obsessed cleaning and intolerance of streaks on the windows of my 68 camaro, this is the only combo that I found that works perfect the first time, and every time.

HowardW
08/24/2007, 10:45 AM
<<< No Windex on Aquariums Myth or Mythbusted? >>>

I don't think it's a question of myth or myth busted, but rather why would you want to get anything that contains detergents, dyes, ammonia and copper sulfate anywhere even near your tank?

coralnub
08/24/2007, 11:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10622872#post10622872 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Roland Jacques
Where do i look this up? It seems like it would be VERY cost prohibitive to use copper sulfate for color.

You're right, this isn't easy to look up. It seems like dye constituents are kind of a trade secret.

From this link it would appear that "Fantastik" cleaner contains copper http://www.sciencenewsforkids.org/articles/20050727/LZActivity.asp but who knows, perhaps "Windex" is different.

Maybe I'll have to do some experiments tonight to see.

It would make sense though, people don't want to spray blue dye all over. The blue color produced by copper ammonia solutions disappears once the ammonia volatilizes.

HBtank
08/24/2007, 11:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10624727#post10624727 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HowardW
<<< No Windex on Aquariums Myth or Mythbusted? >>>

I don't think it's a question of myth or myth busted, but rather why would you want to get anything that contains detergents, dyes, ammonia and copper sulfate anywhere even near your tank?

I guess some people just trust themselves enough to not have some "three stooges moment" and accidentally dump the bottle in their tank.

rsw686
08/24/2007, 11:26 AM
I've never had the need to use windex. I find that r/o water will leave the glass streak free. I just dip a paper towel in it, wipe the tank, then wipe it dry with another.

t-bone2
08/25/2007, 09:45 AM
I love all the worry about ammonia. You guys do realize that theres probably more ammonia in a flat of PE mysis than an entire bottle of windex, right? [/B][/QUOTE]

not to mention all the ammonia in the fish urine:eek1:

gh0st
08/25/2007, 10:20 AM
I agree that it's the "other stuff" that I'm more concerned about.

And just because it isn't harmful doesn't mean it's something I want getting in my tank when a little water and paper towels work just as well.

Anyway, if it is so harmless, why don't we all just start spraying it right in the tank and see what happens?

Ninong
08/25/2007, 10:34 AM
If you have an acrylic tank, you may be interested in the following advice posted on acrylic aquarium manufacturer Tenecor's website (http://www.tenecor.com/info_lib_6.html):

Cleaners

DO NOT use any product which contains AMMONIA, ALCOHOL, or ABRASIVES, such as Windex, Comet, Ajax, or other commercial cleaners when cleaning an acrylic aquarium. Use of such cleaners will cause the acrylic to permanently lose it's clarity. A soft cloth and water, or a polish made specifically for acrylic, should be used for cleaning.

DO NOT expose your acrylic fish tank to paints, varnishes, turpentine, or their fumes. Exposure to these chemicals will cause crazing and loss of clarity.

For regular maintenance Tenecor recommends cleaners that are specifically designed for acrylic, such as Novus® and Plexus®. Many other cleaners contain chemicals which will penetrate the pores in acrylic and cause damage which shows as fine lines or haziness. Plexus® aids in the removal of fine scratches and abrasions and will actually help protect the acrylic from accidental exposure to harmful chemicals.

aninjaatemyshoe
08/25/2007, 07:00 PM
Well, alcohol can actually cause serious damage to acrylic beyond the clarity issue. You definately do not want to use it on acrylic, but why would you? Vinegar or just plain water seem to be the best options. I've never liked windex for cleaning glass, could never get it not to streak. However, I use it often when dealing with Uniseals. It acts as a good lubricant for this. I try to clean it as much as possible, but I'm sure some remains. I have never noticed any ill effects.

azreefer
08/27/2007, 03:23 PM
Thx Ninong!

I've heard of too many people destroying their tanks when the maid sprayed it down with glass cleaner. Also, do not use paper towels on acrylic. Only use a soft cloth to avoid scratches.

ahullsb
08/27/2007, 03:38 PM
I find that ajax and steel wool works the best on my tank.... haha just kidding. I have never had to use anything other than tap water and a sponge.

seapug
08/27/2007, 03:52 PM
I used to use Windex on my AGA 90 but always got streaks. Now I use any damp rag to get rid of saltwater creep, let it dry then buff it out with a dry towel that's been dried with fabric softener sheets. The dryer sheets give the dry towel a great waxing/buffing ability on the glass. No streaks or smears. Pure beauty!

Chibils
08/27/2007, 03:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10605171#post10605171 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HBtank
lol, blue copper ions and liquid glass, this thread is creating more myths than it is busting...lol I won't go pro or con, but glass is a very viscous liquid.

virginiadiver69
08/27/2007, 04:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10646643#post10646643 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chibils
glass is a very viscous liquid.

And....?

Ninong
08/27/2007, 04:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10646643#post10646643 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chibils
I won't go pro or con, but glass is a very viscous liquid.

That's a myth. It even shows up in some high-school textbooks but it's still a myth. :D

"Glasses are amorphous solids. There is a fundamental structural divide between amorphous solids (including glasses) and crystalline solids. Structurally, glasses are similar to liquids, but that doesn't mean they are liquid. It is possible that the 'glass is a liquid' urban legend originated with a misreading of a German treatise on glass thermodynamics." Reference (http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C01/C01Links/www.ualberta.ca/~bderksen/florin.html)

Chibils
08/27/2007, 05:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10647033#post10647033 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ninong
That's a myth. It even shows up in some high-school textbooks but it's still a myth. :D

"Glasses are amorphous solids. There is a fundamental structural divide between amorphous solids (including glasses) and crystalline solids. Structurally, glasses are similar to liquids, but that doesn't mean they are liquid. It is possible that the 'glass is a liquid' urban legend originated with a misreading of a German treatise on glass thermodynamics." Reference (http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C01/C01Links/www.ualberta.ca/~bderksen/florin.html) Cool. :)

I learned that in my science textbook last year. Gotta love Georgia's public education system. The books are from the early 90s.

lshark21
08/28/2007, 02:08 AM
You can buy windex that does not contain ammonia.

From what I can find windex is made up of;

Isopropanol

2-Butoxyethanol

Ethylene glycol n-hexyl ether

Water

Isopropanol - Used as a solvent and reagent. This type of alcohol is used commonly in household cleaning products.

2-Butoxyethanol - This is what gives windex its odour. This stuff is used to wipe away finger prints, and other oils. Used as a solvent in paint, ink and other products

Ethylene glycol n-hexyl ether - Weak acid to help kill bacteria.

Water - Keeps ph levels stable, and to act as a solvent

I don't think copper is in it, but various forms of alcohol probably would not be very healthy for the tanks.

That said, I have been using windex on my tanks for the last 20 years with no ill affects. Just becareful.