PDA

View Full Version : Need some anemone advice

happyclam79
08/22/2007, 12:44 PM
My husband and I have a 130 gal tank set up with corals and fish. We've had two white striped maroon clowns for alittle over a year now. I know we don't need an anemone to make the clowns happy but lately we've been thinking of getting one in hopes the clowns will take to it. We've gotten somewhat unhappy with the female maroon because she throws sand on our corals that rest on the sand bed and near the bottom of the tank on rocks.

Our dilemma is trying to find a anemone that the clowns are known to possibly host in and one that possibly won't move around a great distance once introduced into the tank (don't want it moving in around our corals and upsetting/killing them). We have a area in the tank at one end that is nice distance from the corals and in this area we have a nice flatish rock that sits middle to upper portion in depth wise. Is it possible to find an anemone that won't roam, likes being in the middle to top area of the tank and our maroons will like? Any info and advice I'd greatly welcome!

rcastreje
08/22/2007, 02:17 PM
It is my understanding that all anemonies roam until they find a "good" spot for themselves. My BTA only roamed about 2 inches from my initial "plant" spot. It sounds to be uncommon from what I have read.

I assume that you are looking for an anemone that is going to like being on your rocks. That will limit the selection.

A BTA Anemone is a rock anemone that your Clowns will host in and is an excellent choice for a 1st anemone. Maroons are tough on anemones, so I would get 1 that is at least 4x larger then your clowns combined.

-Richard

IslandCrow
08/22/2007, 04:56 PM
I'd suggest a Bubble Tip Anemone as well as far as your best chances of the clowns accepting it. My white stripe went to my BTA instantly, and I've heard similar stories from many people.

As far as an anemone that's less likely to move around, I don't know if there are any that are more or less likely to move, other than the fact that some are simply harder to keep than others. BTAs tend to be some of the easier ones, but I think that no matter what anemone you get, you have to be 100% prepared for it to move not only when you initially put it in your tank, but even months or years later. I think anemones are fascinating creatures, but I don't think I'd ever put one in a reef tank again.