PDA

View Full Version : Boxfish??

SeaHorsie*03
08/22/2007, 05:25 PM
Do very many people here keep boxfish? I can't find very much information about them on the internet. They look like really interesting fish, they are really pretty too IMO.

I have a few questions for anyone who knows about or has boxfish or cowfish.
I am interested in the smaller kinds that get about 6 inches ( not 12inches or more, I can't have a 200 gallon aquarium), like the blue spotted boxfish, or any other smaller species, but lots of these questions would apply to both.

1- Are they extremely delicate fish?

2- About what size of aquarium do they need?

3- How much of a risk is there of them poisoning the aquarium and killing all the fish if they are kept with peaceful fish, and how long would you have to notice before all the fish die?

4- Have you or someone you know had the tank poisoned by boxfish or cowfish?

5- Are they very prone to certain diseases?

6- Are they very messy fish?

7- What smaller boxfish or cowfish make good aquarium fish besides the blue spotted boxfish, if there are any. I read that the blue spotted are more likely to poison the tank than most.

8- If there is anything else I should know about them could you please let me know?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions, if you could answer any of them, that would be great I couldn't find very much info about them at all, also, if you know of a good website with info on them, let me know 2.

Thanks!

JJ21
08/22/2007, 06:32 PM
you might wanna try posting this in the fish only and agressive tank forums. They would probably be of more help there

SeaHorsie*03
08/22/2007, 07:25 PM
Ok, thanks, I posted it in that one first, but I wasn't sure if that was the best place so I posted it here too.

lsir
08/22/2007, 09:52 PM
I had a cow fish for a short time. One day it seemed to disappear. A day later I noticed that it was wedged in my LR. I had to reaqua scape just to get to him. At that point he seems weak and extremly stressed so I decided to remove him in fear that he may poison the tank. I guess cow fish, because of the hard horns on the head and tail are not recommeded for tanks with lots of LR for the reasons that happened to me. If I try again in the future I would try a box fist instead in hopes that he wouldn't get trapped.