PDA

View Full Version : Bubble algea outbreak

spleify
08/22/2007, 05:44 PM
Hello all. I have recently noticed a MAJOR out break of bubble algae in one of my refugiums. It is not in the main tank yet, and it is not in the first refugium. The only thing in the second one (where the bubble algae is) are some frags and some macro algae and LR.
This has only come about in the last week or so. Why all of a sudden has this sprouted? And how do I control it?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Params:
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Magnesium 1210
Calcium 410
PH 8.2
Ammonia <.25
Phosphates .03
ALK 13.4 (I know I am working on that too)

Mark426
08/22/2007, 06:15 PM
Emerald crabs will eat it.... sometimes you will get one that just wont touch it for some reason. Hard to believe.....but they can be taught to eat it by smashing a bubble and giving it too them with tweezers. Seems that once they taste it they somehow remember and go after it like crazy. Note...not much of anything will eat the really big bubbles, you will have to take them out yourself. Once you get it, it never really seems to go away, the emeralds will keep it at such a low level you will swear its gone but get rid of the crab and it slowly returns.

MikePowell
08/22/2007, 06:18 PM
emerald crabs did it for me.

spleify
08/22/2007, 06:33 PM
I am getting an emerald crab this weekend. The tough part is, is the bubble alge is in the refugium and in between the baffles, and they go all the way up. There is no way an emerald will get in there.
The sump is only six inches off the ground, so I can't even siphon them out.
Will the emeralds be ok to have with the corals I have in there? Is there any need to feed the sump with the emeralds in there?
Thanks again for all the help.

spleify
08/22/2007, 07:52 PM
Bump

The Shan Man
08/22/2007, 08:59 PM
My local reef buddy had one for a while... Then he introduced Gonipora to his tank... He went crazy on it like candy... If you are putting him in the sump you should be ok but if you are placing him in the display down the road I would watch him... I have heard they will eat Zoas too...

zach0660
08/22/2007, 08:59 PM
I f'ing hate that crap, it is horrible to get rid of. Nothing has worked for me, good luck!

jman77
08/22/2007, 09:12 PM
Gonipora is a coral buddy...

I have it in my tank, and have yet to find someway to remove it other than manually removing it from the tank . I hate it ... but have learned to live with it.

craab
08/22/2007, 09:17 PM
if you pull the bubbles off by hand, make sure you are careful and do not let burst. You'd be releasing thousands of spores to settle all over your tank :(