PDA

View Full Version : Chiller, ATO or lumenarc reflector??

mxett
08/22/2007, 06:40 PM
I have come into a little extra cash and would like to spend it before my wife finds out and spends it herself.

Should I buy an auto-top off system with kalk reactor, a chiller, or 2 lumenarc reflectors?

To set the scene I'm topping off the evaporation with kalk drips each night. I have a tunze calcium reactor but like to keep the pH above 8.
I don't mind the process that much at the moment, and my calc and alk are good.

I live in Melbourne and for 3 to 4 months a year (Dec to March) it gets pretty warm. The last summer the tank temp rose to 29 degrees (82f) regularly, 30 degrees (83f) sometimes, and nearly 31 degrees (84f) rarely.

I have standard white gloss painted rectangular reflectors for my 250W 10000k halides, which aren't too bad I suppose. My tank is 24 inches deep. In Oz we arent really big on reflectors yet. Infact to get a set of Lumenarc's I will have to pay nearly $100 Australian to ship them here.

So, where should I invest? "Show me where to spend the money!!!" (said in my best Jerry Mcguire accent)

GSMguy
08/22/2007, 06:45 PM
84 is ok any hotter the lights should go off

i think out of those options id go with the ATO and kalk reactor they will have the most impact of the 3

can you get the SLS lumenmax there? reflectors would be second on my list. and chiller last.

Lo0seR
08/22/2007, 07:14 PM
I live in San Diego, Ca. and the chiller is the single best investment I have made for my setup. I dont know what your weather is like there in down under, but I have ATO and kalk reactor as well as halides, and find that the stability of water temp comes first where I live.

manderx
08/22/2007, 07:30 PM
i'd go ATO for sure. you might not think it's a big deal now to topoff by hand, but once you go ATO there's no going back. especially if you plumb your topoff reservoir into your water source so it fills automatically too.

you seem to be managing the water temps well enough, so no need for a chiller. chillers are evil devices that cause almost as many problems as they solve (heat, electricity, noise, maintenance...). last resort only.

Lo0seR
08/22/2007, 07:41 PM
chillers are evil devices that cause almost as many problems as they solve (heat, electricity, noise, maintenance...). last resort only.

OMG:eek: Stay away, very far away from the SoCal forums.

Entropy
08/22/2007, 07:46 PM
Sounds like th ATO would be best for you. I am thinking you might be able to swing the ATO and new reflectors (maybe not lumenarc but better than what you have) for the same price as a good chiller. It might be different down under though.

Entropy
08/22/2007, 07:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10613257#post10613257 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lo0seR
OMG:eek: Stay away, very far away from the SoCal forums.

That's why I moved to Texas. :D

PSam
08/22/2007, 07:56 PM
1 - ATO
2 - Reflector
3 - Chiller (I don't see 84 max as terrible - I run 82 - 84 daily :))

Do you have a controller? That could be a sound investment as well.

manderx
08/22/2007, 07:57 PM
OMG Stay away, very far away from the SoCal forums.
you guys need them, he doesn't.

dhnguyen
08/22/2007, 08:33 PM
Properly planned and setup a system should never require a chiller IMO even in Cali (I should know I used to live in Cali).

Get the ATO if it were me. Manual topoff gets old very quickly.

Heck why not get ATO AND the reflectors. You can simply use a couple float switches and a pump on the cheap for ATO and call it good.

Lo0seR
08/22/2007, 09:11 PM
That's why I moved to Texas.

Ya, so now you have a ATO with all that "RAIN" you guy's have had this summer.:lol:

Properly planned and setup a system should never require a chiller IMO even in Cali (I should know I used to live in Cali).
Where did you live? I garantee you in La Mesa unless you have AC, a ton of fans you could never have control of a temp + or- 4 degree swing a day. I have tried, and the cost factor goes to the chiller, verses going to work and leaving the AC on and a bunch of fans. Also I run 3 400watt halides, in sump skimmer, in sump return pump which I'll admit adds to the heat and the need for a chiller, on top of the summer temps. That is why I'm big chiller fan, it just makes my reef'n easier for me for the last few years for temp control.
Funny, my great grand father came to Seattle as a logger from Italy around 1880. I just moved from Yarrow Point to Cal. about 6 yrs. ago, swear I would never leave the NW and family up there for this place. Well now I dont think I could leave SD for the NW, I would never have thought I would ever say that, EVER!

Henry Bowman
08/22/2007, 09:20 PM
If you put those L III Reflectors on there, your tank temp will go up....They are much more efficient at energy xfer than your current set up.

I'd do the ATO for now. Chiller and then reflectors (in that order)

IMO

dhnguyen
08/22/2007, 09:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10613998#post10613998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lo0seR
Ya, so now you have a ATO with all that "RAIN" you guy's have had this summer.:lol:

Where did you live? I garantee you in La Mesa unless you have AC, a ton of fans you could never have control of a temp + or- 4 degree swing a day. I have tried, and the cost factor goes to the chiller, verses going to work and leaving the AC on and a bunch of fans. Also I run 3 400watt halides, in sump skimmer, in sump return pump which I'll admit adds to the heat and the need for a chiller, on top of the summer temps. That is why I'm big chiller fan, it just makes my reef'n easier for me for the last few years for temp control.
Funny, my great grand father came to Seattle as a logger from Italy around 1880. I just moved from Yarrow Point to Cal. about 6 yrs. ago, swear I would never leave the NW and family up there for this place. Well now I dont think I could leave SD for the NW, I would never have thought I would ever say that, EVER!

Used to live the Suisun/Fairfield (N. Cali) 45 miles from Sacto. And trust me on this it gets HOT there.

Funny thing is I used think I wouldn't leave Cali for the NW either :lol: Now I wonder what took me so long to finally do the move. San Diego is definitely nice granted.

mxett
08/22/2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks heaps guys. I'm leaning towards the reflectors at this stage. I've been reefing for a while and top off's are just part of my routine. I will need to do some serious plumbing into the next room to do the chiller and ATO. Having said that, any more opinions could still sway me. All I know is I need to do it soon or the wife will have new clothes and I'll be left crying. :(

mxett
08/23/2007, 02:34 PM
bump

dhnguyen
08/23/2007, 03:14 PM
BTW mxett it is very easy and inexpensive to install your own ATO system as I mentioned above by using a couple float switches, a water reservoir, and a pump (Aqualifter or regular powerhead)

Basically you set up the float switches to control your water level in the sump and connect your pump to the switches. When the water goes below the switch level it automatically turns on the pump and start filling the sump up with fresh topoff water (which can be kalk water as well). Once the level reached the switch level, the pump is turned off. Simple really.

http://www.aquahub.com/store/doityourself.html

mxett
08/23/2007, 03:45 PM
How fool proof is it dhnguyen? Could it fail and overflow the sump?

dhnguyen
08/23/2007, 03:50 PM
pretty foolproof IME. That is what the second float switch is for so that if the first one failed for any reason the second one will turn the pump off still. There is no such thing as 100% failsafe of course as with all things, if you don't maintain your equipment it will fail eventually. I clean and inspect my switches once every couple of months or during water changes as needed.

HBtank
08/23/2007, 04:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10614743#post10614743 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mxett
Thanks heaps guys. I'm leaning towards the reflectors at this stage. I've been reefing for a while and top off's are just part of my routine. I will need to do some serious plumbing into the next room to do the chiller and ATO. Having said that, any more opinions could still sway me. All I know is I need to do it soon or the wife will have new clothes and I'll be left crying. :(

As someone already pointed out, your temperatures will go up with better reflectors. Just FYI. You may force yourself into a chiller at the same time.

I would go for an ATO. I used to think daily topoffs were not that big of a deal... but I have gotten the most satisfaction out of automating my system more than anything. I really do seem to spend more time doing what I want to, not daily maintenance. My routine is "looking" now :)

dhnguyen
08/23/2007, 04:50 PM
On another note in regards to lighting and temperature. Most people have their lights on in the morning and turning off in the evening. WHY???? Especially when you're off at work and can't even enjoy the tank for the most part.

I start my photo period in the afternoon when the hottest part of the day is mostly passed and still have plenty of time to enjoy my tank in the evening where most of my free time is anyway.

Then there is also the heat from other equipment used in the setup. If you're running a closed loop with a huge pump to boot then of course it will create a lot of heat. This is why I also shy away from closed loop as it is very difficult to get any good flow from one unless you used a HUGE pump.

Then there is the skimmer, etc....

This is what I am referring to by system planning.
Also a couple small fans blowing across the tank will help tremendously to keep it cool. No need for a chiller if you plan it right IMO.

mxett
08/23/2007, 05:43 PM
Excellent point. However, for me, I am a really light sleeper and the tank is just outside my bedroom. The ballasts make a humm as well. I probably couldnt sleep :( . But it a good suggestion, especially for those extremely hot days,