PDA

View Full Version : Tmpcc

spin117
08/22/2007, 07:00 PM
Well I have an acro that is getting eaten by what look to be pods, except they have red stripes down their backs.

Any clue what bugs these are and or if TMPCC will help?

Will TMPCC kill my acro crab? If so how do I get him out of the coral prior to treatment?

Thanks for all the responses!

ben&bobbi
08/22/2007, 08:39 PM
are the more like small slug or snail looking?

i would try it and see if they come off, be sure to plast the coral off before taking it out. If they are AEFW, you will need fluke tabs.

spin117
08/22/2007, 09:14 PM
Ive seen the pics of the AEFW, and these dood are not them. They dont even resemble the red bugs. They are as mobile as pods are, and look just like em except they have red stripes down their backs. ??? Hmm I wonder if they arent really the culprits and they are just there mopping up the free scraps?

brandyrb
08/22/2007, 10:11 PM
TMPCC says to remove all acro crabs before treatment, but I don't know how you would do that without hurting the crab. I just bought TMPCC to make sure I don't have flatworms because I've never looked for them, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have dealt with red bugs and they look like they have a red dot in the middle of them. Interceptor is the only thing I know of to get rid of them.

The only pods I've seen with red stripes down their back in my tank are amphipods and they are good. I have a ton in my refugium.

wentreefgirl
08/23/2007, 04:49 AM
"be sure to plast the coral " What does that mean?

ben&bobbi
08/23/2007, 10:02 AM
typo- blast the coral off with turkey baster or something to get loose bugs off.

wentreefgirl
08/23/2007, 11:12 AM
OK, CLARIFY WHERE WERE BASTING THIS CORAL WITH POTENTIAL CRITTERS. WERE BASTING AFTER THE DIP IN THE DIP WATER RIGHT.

gflat65
08/23/2007, 11:55 AM
I usually baste a little during the dip to dislodge the little nasties (AEFW). Then hit it hard after the dip before moving it into the QT. Hit from every angle possible, twisting and turning.

Serioussnaps
08/23/2007, 11:58 AM
THEY ARE MYSIDS......they are not eating the coral because they eat coral they are eating the coral because it is dying already

do a google search on mysids with photos and you will see they are much larger than red bugs(still small albeit) with red stripes down their back almost like they ate too much cyclopeeze

ben&bobbi
08/24/2007, 05:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10617155#post10617155 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wentreefgirl
OK, CLARIFY WHERE WERE BASTING THIS CORAL WITH POTENTIAL CRITTERS. WERE BASTING AFTER THE DIP IN THE DIP WATER RIGHT.

Yes, i blast them off in the dip container after the dip, but during the dip too sounds good. I also do this for anything, even dipping new additions.