PDA

View Full Version : Fight!Fight! Ecotech Marine VorTech Propeller Pump vs. Tunze

pepeinthenavy
08/22/2007, 11:22 PM
Fight!Fight! Ecotech Marine VorTech Propeller Pump vs. Tunze Stream

Which one is better I need to hear pros and cons. Lets put this one to rest. Leave no stone unturned!!!!

USC-fan
08/22/2007, 11:38 PM
i like the tunze better because of the nice controller. I haven't heard much about the vortech controller.

Tunze does have more options for pumps. Still haven't seen anything that can move water like a tunze wavebox.

pepeinthenavy
08/22/2007, 11:41 PM
GET THIS! Ecotech Marine VorTech Propeller Pump is supposed to have a wireless controller! Thats NUTS

MarineGirl411
08/23/2007, 12:22 AM
When?

IanJ
08/23/2007, 01:46 AM
I have both and will get the controller for the Vortech later.

In my opnion the Vortech is much neater as it is less intrusive in the tank.
The Vortech moves water in a much wider pattern, the Tunze much narrower at higher velocity.

Also no heat input into the water.

Downside is you cant angle them, but i find using the magnet holders on the Tunze, the thick wire and design, limits the angle that you can adjust it through.

I will certainly buy another

boxfishpooalot
08/23/2007, 04:27 AM
the new controller is already out. And Melev posted a video of two vortecs in a cube tank showing better waves than any wavbox can make. Imo Tunze is going down!

The heat that vortecs add to water is minimal because all of the heat has to transfer through glass, while minimal heat is caused by friction within the water.

And I own a wavebox, and would buy vortecs instead. :)

hulley
08/23/2007, 06:22 AM
I have both in my tank right now, I'll never buy another Tunze. Vortechs kick bootie!

FuzzyLogic
08/23/2007, 06:32 AM
Vortechs do not come with the new wireless driver/controller. You'll have to upgrade the existing driver to the "wireless" controller. The upgrade is an additional $100 minus a $50 rebate.

Also, the new controller is not a wireless remote control. It is still hard wired to the pump and has the capability to communicate with other Vortech controllers "wirelessly". It only wireless if you have more than one Vortech. I'm hopeful that they will release a remote controller soon :)

FuzzyLogic
08/23/2007, 06:38 AM
... and I wouldn't trade my Vortechs for anything else. Low profile design inside the tank with the motor portion outside. That makes them perfect for my in-wall tank.

Ewan
08/23/2007, 06:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10615324#post10615324 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boxfishpooalot
the new controller is already out. And Melev posted a video of two vortecs in a cube tank showing better waves than any wavbox can make. Imo Tunze is going down!

The heat that vortecs add to water is minimal because all of the heat has to transfer through glass, while minimal heat is caused by friction within the water.

Could you post a link to the video? I quickly looked around and did a search on recent posts my melev, but he's a madman when it comes to posting on RC. ;)

Thanks,

E.

mr9iron
08/23/2007, 06:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10615324#post10615324 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boxfishpooalot

Can you post the link please? I looked for it but I'm really tired and didn't find it.

FuzzyLogic
08/23/2007, 07:46 AM
Go to Melev's Reefcast website and look for the EcoTech video in Episode 19. www.reefcast.com (http://www.reefcast.com/downloads19.php)

pepeinthenavy
08/23/2007, 08:23 AM
try this one
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_69&products_id=422

TwistedTiger
08/23/2007, 08:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10615941#post10615941 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FuzzyLogic
Go to Melev's Reefcast website and look for the EcoTech video in Episode 19. www.reefcast.com (http://www.reefcast.com/downloads19.php)

Looks impressive on that little tank, but I'd like to see it on a much larger one to see if it can still create waves across the tank.

USC-fan
08/23/2007, 08:51 AM

I saw that also. I not sure how well this will work in a bigger tank and with rock in the tank. Anyone uses this setup in a real tank??

Also 2x vortecs and a controller is a ton of money!!! It makes the tunze wavebox seem cheap...lol.

FuzzyLogic
08/23/2007, 08:55 AM
Quote from Tim of EcoTech:

"The waves we generated at MACNA were for illustration purposes only. In reality we believe that non-surface waves, those that are generated below the surfaces of the water, would actually be healthier for a reef tank and safer on the aquarium itself."

USC-fan
08/23/2007, 09:30 AM
What are they talking about non-surface waves?

FuzzyLogic
08/23/2007, 09:53 AM
I dunno... guess they meant smaller waves???. I don't see how you could have sub-surface waves without having waves on the surface. The subject of Fluid Dynamics is beyond me. Maybe this new controller has a "sub-surface" wave option. :lol: I personally wouldn't want a huge back 'n' forth wave in the tank. Something would break sooner or later.

HBtank
08/23/2007, 10:31 AM
Nice.

Vortechs, the controllers and battery back-up are my next purchase.

Pretty much the final equipment for my tank (damn this hobby broke me lol), and this thread only fires me up more. Looks sweet.

chinzman93
08/23/2007, 05:58 PM
I will take the loser!...;)