PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried putting a mantis shrimp in their fowl?

deejayfish
08/23/2007, 02:20 AM
Since the tank is higly aggressive was wondering would a mantis withstand all of these problems.

SkinnyPete
08/23/2007, 08:04 AM
I wouldn't think this would be a good idea. Best case - your aggressive fish would eat the mantis without getting seriously injured.

Smasher mantis use their claws to pound through shells. Even if they eventually lost the battle to a trigger,eel, or puffer (depending on the size of the mantis) the appendages could do serious damage to your fish.

With all that said, I bought a 20g acrylic tank last year specifically for a peacock mantis and he quickly became my favorite saltwater animal that I've ever owned. If you want to go that route - it's worth it.

T-T-Trigger
08/23/2007, 08:17 AM
not with puffers, triggers, or wrasses for sure - they will all attack the mantis.

I had a mantis eat a small clown triggerfish AND a small clown tang. I was able, however, to later mix that mantis with a pair of ocellaris clownfish (it help that they sleep in the water column) and a scorpionfish.

u tube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzrt6cJhrv4)

the other fish are visible from about the 1min. to 2min. mark, 29g tank.

jda
08/23/2007, 02:31 PM
I used to feed mantis that came in on LR to tiggers when I worked at the store. Even smaller triggers could make quick work of them. We had a zebra eel that would destroy them fast as well.

For the most part, mantis should be in a species tank.

justinl
08/23/2007, 02:46 PM
triggers and puffers and those kinds of fish will eat small mantids. so no go there. if a fish like a lion were to try swallowing a mantis whole, it would probably get internal damage from the mantis not being happy... then you'd have a dead fish and mantis. get a large mantis (like 6 inches) and your fish would be in serious danger... it's been documented where larger smasher mantids actually took out larger predators like eels and triggers.

and even if you put a small mantis in that did a very good job of hiding from the predators, you'd probably never see it since a FOWLR is usually a bigger tank.

short answer: no.

Ranzan
08/23/2007, 05:58 PM
IMO mantis are horrid little demons lol i dont think that would work the mantis would be made into a meal in a matter of days , pontentialy hurt your fish or could break your glass.