PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot buckets for water storage?

deadfishy
08/23/2007, 11:50 AM
Hey all...just wondering if there are any known issues from using home depot plastic buckets and/or other plastic containers for water storage (both for freshwater top-off, and as a saltwater reservoir for a continuous water changer). I imagine it is theoretically possible for plasticizers, etc. to leach into the water, but I'd like to know if anyone knows of any actual issues from this.

SVTpat
08/23/2007, 12:29 PM
I moved my fish from one take to another with a Home Depot bucket (it had been used for several other fish moves) and never had a problem. Though the fish were only in the bucket for maybe 2-3 hours while acclimating (adding a little water) and the fish couldn't be doing better after putting the fish in the new tank. Had a few inverts in the bucket also.

Tennsquire
08/23/2007, 12:45 PM
I've been using Homer buckets for mixing water for water changes for a few years now. Water probably stays in the bucket(s) with powerheads and a heater for a day or two before it goes into my systems. I've never had a problem. Not saying that it can't happen; only that I've not seen any negative results. My RO water stays in 5 gallon plastic water bottles that come with office coolers (basically because I had them and because I can seal them as well).

apex003
08/23/2007, 12:45 PM
No problem for me. I've used them for 3 years to mix SW and did a relocation using HD buckets.

cardgenius
08/23/2007, 12:57 PM
Brute trashcans are great. HD sells them and they are a food grade plastic.

nattydread
08/23/2007, 02:03 PM
I use a 5 gal for my topoff. I replace it every week, no problems so far.

zach0660
08/23/2007, 03:00 PM
As long as you use the bucket for your aquarium and not to clean the toilets with clorox you should be fine.

RedSoxReefer
08/23/2007, 04:33 PM
I like to store my water in the plastic 5 gallon kerosene cans that you can get at home depot. They cost about 8 bucks but are well worth it. They have a small cap that screws on tightly and it is easy to pour from. I have been using them for a couple years now.

Nano Chris
08/23/2007, 04:34 PM
I have plenty of IO/RC 5 gallon buckets laying around, never know when they will come in handy one day. (Moving... someone gives me a large tank :D... oh well in my dreams lol...)

deadfishy
08/23/2007, 05:20 PM
Well, I don't know the netiquette of answering my own question in my own thread...but...

I called Argee Corp, the manufacturer of the buckets from Home Depot. The white buckets at Home Depot are made of food grade plastic, and should be fine to use. The colored buckets are not food grade, and should be avoided for food/aquarium use. Thanks, everyone, who responded!

zach0660
08/23/2007, 07:12 PM
So the orange ones aern't safe to use?

deadfishy
08/24/2007, 01:20 AM
The orange ones are definitely not food-grade and the white ones are. That doesn't necessarily mean your fish will die if you use orange, but the white ones would be a safer bet.