PDA

View Full Version : Dry Foods

jddaniel
08/23/2007, 08:10 PM
I feed mostly frozen foods and would like to introduce a small amount of dry food into my reef. What brand foods do you prefer and why?

cloak
08/23/2007, 11:41 PM
The more variety the better. Whether it's froZen or flake.

Houtz
08/24/2007, 12:18 AM
My fish go nuts for Bio-blend by Marineland Labs. My hawkfish is also crazy about San Fransisco brand freeze dried plankton. Heads up though, the plankton will stink the place up for a few minutes, it's pretty powerful smelling.

As an unimportant side note, I also occasionally feed my fish a can of flake food I bought them in Athens, Greece as a souvenir. There are about five or six languages on the can and the only thing in English reads, "Made in Germany".

ACBlinky
08/24/2007, 12:39 AM
I feed mostly frozen, but supplement with Prime Reef and Spirulina flakes from Ocean Nutrition, as well as Hikari Marine A and Marine S. The crew goes crazy for all of the above :)

jddaniel
08/24/2007, 03:57 PM
Currently I am feeding formula 1/2, prime reef, and mysis all frozen. Good suggestions so far, I am looking to add to the mix just a bit. I have small to med size fish so a little can go a long way.

nyvp
08/24/2007, 05:48 PM
just be careful some brands have copper in them

theop
08/24/2007, 06:31 PM
Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 flakes. It's got just about everything under the sun in it and all my fish seem to like it.

Salmon fillets, Euphasia pacifica plankton, wheat germ, squid, tuna eggs, garlic, Euphasia superba plankton, marine algae, sea clams, kelp, wheat flour, Spirulina, adult brine shrimp, brine shrimp nauplii, soya-lecithin, MPAX (Marine Protein Amino eXtract: fish meals, select amino acids (DL-Arginine, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Beta?ne, TL-Tryptophan)), vitamins (ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), biotin (Vitamin H), Vitamin B12, riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), panthotenic acid (Vitamin B5), menadione (Vitamin K3), folacin (Vitamin B9), cholicalciferol (Vitamin D3), niacin (Vitamin B3), retinol (Vitamin A1), pyridoxine (Vitamin B6)), minerals (potassium iodide, iron oxide, manganese sulfate, magnesium oxide, zinc sulfate), ethoxyquin, carotenoid pigments.

Aquarist007
08/24/2007, 10:13 PM
Ocean Nutrition one and two, dried zooplakton, dried mysis, dried krill, frozen mysis, frozen brine shrimp and frozen cyclopeeze. A mix of frozen food from the grocery store, raw unfrozen shrimp and clams---not all at once of course :)