PDA

View Full Version : Canopy fan idea

skriz
08/23/2007, 10:00 PM
I was thinking about plumbing a vent on my canopy. It would have a register on one end from which I will run some duct out of and through the floor, into the basement and out of the house. I was thinking of adding an inline booster fan (for hvac) to "pull" the air out of the canopy and out of the house. Of course I would have a register on the other end of the canopy to allow air to enter. I was also thinking about somehow controling this fan with some sort of t-stat in the canopy?

Any negatives to this idea?

Anything that I should do that I haven't thought about?

Anybody already tried this and can give me some pointers?

smthnfshy
08/24/2007, 01:04 AM
you should run a push pull system with another fan blowing ducted cool air from the basement as well, just my 2 cents

kgross
08/24/2007, 01:10 AM
It should work great. Adding the second fan as smthnfshy says would make it move a lot more air. The duct work will restrict the air quite a bit, but it will keep the hot most air out of the hose and allow your AC to be a lot more effeciant.

Kim

Phisher
08/24/2007, 07:26 AM
Depending on the build of your house, pumping air outside for several hours a day might cause a negative pressure situation. If your house is new and built "tight" you might need to crack a window to get your toilets to flush. :)

No seriously, that should work great. Those type of booster fans push a lot more cfm than typical cooling fans we use in canopies and unless you have a very long distance or a lot of turns, one should work fine.

skriz
08/24/2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks!

Phisher- since you are in HVAC, this seems to be your area of expertise! My house is new (2003), so would I really need to worry about the negative pressure? It gets way too hot to crack a window open.

Also, what t-stat can I use to control this fan and where can I order one from?

thanks

bigginapk
08/24/2007, 10:17 PM
good idea !!

Phisher
08/25/2007, 07:16 AM
I don't think you would have any negative pressure problems. Opening doors for coming and going a few times a day would equalize your place plenty.

I personally wouldn't use a thermostat, just have the fan come on with you lights. Having fresh air moving over your bulbs extends their useful life, at least for T5 and vho-I'm not sure about mh but would assume it to be true their also.

Ehgemus
08/25/2007, 09:26 AM
I was thanking about doing the same thing but I wanted to pull air from the outside into the canopy and than back outside again. I also wanted to add a t-stat to keep the canopy at certain temp.
My two main reasons for doing this is to keep PH up on my tank and to keep the moisture out of the house.
What do you thank?

Phisher
08/25/2007, 10:07 AM
Depending on your weather I would worry about adding heat/cold, humidity, outside agents like pollen or even bugs, etc. into your system. I am having 95 degree days with 70% relative humidity right now, wouldn't do much to cool my tank.