PDA

View Full Version : fish disapearing

tomndeb
08/24/2007, 06:54 AM
This has been going on for a few months.My tank is 220 reef tank.Water quality is great, all good parameters.One by one my fish are disapearing.First some jaw fish.They did not jump..Then small anthias ,then small chromis 4 to 5, today one of my black cap basslet found dead with hernits eating it.I hear pistol shrimp cracking noise, do the pistols kill fish?or banded coral shrimp. Tank has been up and running for year and half.Corals growing good so water is ok.I dont see mantis shrimp. help please

aastretch64
08/24/2007, 07:06 AM
Could some of the more aggressive fish have chased your now deceased fish under some rockwork? Started and stressed they could die under the rockwork. I had a clown that disapeared under some rockwork. He finally emerged about 3 week later when a group of hermits dragged his body out. Sorry to be so graphic.

Depending on the fish and quantity of hermits, you would be surprised how quickly fish can get eaten up.

Alex

jda
08/24/2007, 08:23 AM
I have never had good luck with cromis. Otherwise, that is a lot of fish to lose.

I doubt that you have a predator, so it is likely another fish providing stress.

Another thing to consider is the source of the fish. Did you get them all at the same place? Does that place have a good rep for hardy fish? If not, you might consider trying somewhere else where they might be a bit hardier.

mst3kguy07
08/24/2007, 03:53 PM
Do you have any stone crabs because they will will grab fish, and cut them in half