PDA

View Full Version : Closed Loop Help

ManotheSea
08/24/2007, 09:15 PM
I have a 90 gal rr with 5 holes drilled in the back glass for a closed loop. One out and four returns. Can anyone give me a suggestion on a reasonably priced pump to handle this?

It was supposed to take a Seq. Dart with an Oceans Motions on top, but I cant afford that much right now. Does any one have any ideas on how I can operate this loop on a much smaller budget?

Does anyone have plans for a diy Oceans Motions device?

JetCat USA
08/24/2007, 10:16 PM
you can put the Dart on there and just use a few Ys to feed all 4 of the return bulkheads and add the OM later or not at all.

ManotheSea
08/25/2007, 10:51 AM
I might have to use y's. Any other ideas out there? Would the Y's have less resistance than using a series of T's?

Also I dont have the dart and its part of the extra expense along with the OM about $600 - $700. Can any one recommend a cheaper pump that will handle the loop? For instance, a friend who isnt a reefer showed me a pump from Harbour Frieght for $40.00. It looks like a Dart but I know better than to try to short cut to that extreme. What would be an affordable but adequate pump to buy?

bigtex52
08/25/2007, 12:44 PM
Yes, you do have less pressure restriction and less flow loss by using a Y instead a T.

Are you looking for the same flow as a Dart?

bigtex52
08/25/2007, 12:48 PM
I agree with Jet Cat about using the Dart without the OM if you are trying to ease into things moneywise. You can always add that later if you think you need/want it.

I think you will have a little trouble finding a pump that performs like the Dart for much less.

JetCat USA
08/25/2007, 03:49 PM
a Dart will be the best 200 bucks you've ever spent on flow in a tank.