PDA

View Full Version : which kind of fish for my 1st tank?

chirojosh
08/25/2007, 09:47 AM
I am wondering if people would reccommend a 1st tank as a predaotory tank like snowflake eel and a trigger with no inerts etc( can you have snails with a trigger?) to take care of.. Which is what we were planning on doing. However, Ive seen so may tanks just covered in algae etc. This made me wonder if we would be better off getting a community tank, clowns, chromis and a tang (which would feed on algae) with a clean up crew. What do you think for a first time setup?

Musho3210
08/25/2007, 09:53 AM
Algae doesnt just come, there is a reason why it comes, like nitrate levels and phosphates etc. If you keep your levels in check you wont need a cleanup crew since there shouldnt be much algae.

Sk8r
08/25/2007, 10:06 AM
Frankly, I consider corals easier. They don't jump, don't cross the tank to get into a fight, don't get ich or brook, are very easy to catch, can be fragged for trade [easier than breeding fish], and with a few more tests, a skimmer, and some good lighting, just sit there and grow bigger and more impressive.

But I luv me fishes, too, and much prefer the little guys that lurk in mini-caves and hunt about the sand and rocks. My fish list is in my sig.