PDA

View Full Version : live rock without coraline?

Beemo
08/25/2007, 02:55 PM
is it possible to buy live rock without coraline that will never ever produce coraline??
or does all live rock have coraline traces capable of seeding?

Kazzy
08/25/2007, 02:59 PM
I don't think it is. Live rock will just eventually develop coralline on its surface.

kau_cinta_ku
08/25/2007, 03:01 PM
coraline will need to be seeded onto the rock if their is none or it will not grow.

Beemo
08/25/2007, 03:02 PM
so if i pick out live rocks that look pretty pale without any noticable purple, should that mean its coraline free?

kau_cinta_ku
08/25/2007, 03:04 PM
in theory yes but just a little bit is all it needs.

is thir a reason you don't want coraline?

Beemo
08/25/2007, 03:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10633036#post10633036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
in theory yes but just a little bit is all it needs.

is thir a reason you don't want coraline?

yeah, i cant handle cleaning it off of the glass.

i'll be converting my 220 gallon to a fish only system in a few months and i dont want this tank ruined by coraline, since im sure i will keep this tank for many many years for many different purposes, whether its fresh, salt, turtle etc.
its been a freshwater tank for three years now and its totally clean and id like to keep it that way.
i dont have the physical strength to scrape off coraline, especially in a tank that i cant even reach into.

the tank will be bare bottom.
hmm guess i cant get live rocks :(

what would you suggest in my situation?

kau_cinta_ku
08/25/2007, 03:17 PM
base rock for the most part and then find some LR without coraline should be fine. i can sell you some of mine if you come pick it up. lol i can't grow it on my rock

kau_cinta_ku
08/25/2007, 03:19 PM
oh year don't forget snails and crabs and alot of other things can also transport coraline on their shells and stuff

Beemo
08/25/2007, 03:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10633097#post10633097 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
base rock for the most part and then find some LR without coraline should be fine. i can sell you some of mine if you come pick it up. lol i can't grow it on my rock

base rock is dead rock?

you cant grow it? hehe now thats the rock i want.
yer in iowa tho lol

its funny, in my nano reef the rocks have some coraline but not like the way its on the glass, power heads etc. its like coraline sticks better to non rock things :lol:

i know people love this stuff, but ive actually cried over coraline, not being able to clean it, that ive gotten rid of four tanks due to coraline algae...i just dont want to get into that again, especially with such a large and expensive tank. its not something i can replace easily. i had to pay $400 bux in delivery charges just to get it down my basement...so you can see this tank cannot be ruined

kau_cinta_ku
08/25/2007, 03:25 PM
yeah base rock is dead rock but seed it with a little LR and will all become LR in time. just less chance of having coraline on it.

well i can grow it on anything that is plastic in my tank (powerheads, overflow, ect.) but not the rock or glass :D and trust me i want it lol

i understand your point though.

Lotus99
08/25/2007, 03:29 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe some urchins will clean it. It could be a solution for you. Perhaps someone else with more experience with urchins will chime in.

kau_cinta_ku
08/25/2007, 03:33 PM
yes their are urchins that will eat the stuff also, forgot about that. just not sure how well they do with cleaning the glass though

Thinslis
08/25/2007, 03:34 PM
Take live rock or dead rock, scrub it, bleach it, bake it, scrub it, put in tank. Should be coraline free. Make sure you QT everything and you would probably want to fresh water dip anything from the QT first to make sure you don't get any coraline into your tank.

Just my thoughts.

kau_cinta_ku
08/25/2007, 03:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10633201#post10633201 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Thinslis
Take live rock or dead rock, scrub it, bleach it, bake it, scrub it, put in tank. Should be coraline free. Make sure you QT everything and you would probably want to fresh water dip anything from the QT first to make sure you don't get any coraline into your tank.

Just my thoughts.

ok and you just took 5.00lb - 10.00lb LR and turned it into 2.00 lb base rock. which is why i said start out with mostly base rock

Thinslis
08/25/2007, 03:42 PM
Maybe, but there will be no coraline =)

Beemo
08/25/2007, 03:45 PM
ok..wait, even tho its a waste of money, it may be a good idea lol

this way i will get the shape of the live rock, and have the nice lil holes n stuff so it may still help with denitrification??? i'll pay i'll pay lol
hey it beats using tufa!

the only thing is i feel bad for the live critters in the rock being boiled to death, bleached etc...but oh well :p

will just soaking it in fresh water for a few weeks kill off the coraline as well?
i see on ebay once in awhile people selling dead live rock that they kept in their garage dry for awhile, would this also be a no coraline threat rock??

live aquaria sells live base rock, but im kinda scared

Thinslis
08/25/2007, 03:48 PM
I bought a nice 40lbs piece of "base rock" off a guy recently who bleached all the rock for his new tank. He went bare bottom and wanted a pristine clean look. His tonga rock was white as white can be just about. He bleanched and baked and scrubed and he didn't have any complaints.

kau_cinta_ku
08/25/2007, 03:51 PM
same as LR for shapes but dry base rock. cheap
http://www.marcorocks.com/

Beemo
08/25/2007, 03:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10633286#post10633286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
same as LR for shapes but dry base rock. cheap
http://www.marcorocks.com/

hey wait i think you found my solution!
that will work

:beer:
:celeb1: :celeb3: :celeb2:

Thinslis
08/25/2007, 03:57 PM
I would say that Marco rock still needs to be bleached to be sure it will not "sprout" coraline down the road. They say their rock is washed and cleaned but not sterilized.

Beemo
08/25/2007, 03:58 PM
dang how resistant is coraline?
they should just build houses outta this stuff hehe

Thinslis
08/25/2007, 03:58 PM
The way I read that site, they are not making the rock, they are just building structures with rock that was harvested IE: ordinary base rock.

Beemo
08/25/2007, 03:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10633317#post10633317 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Thinslis
The way I read that site, they are not making the rock, they are just building structures with rock that was harvested IE: ordinary base rock.

ew huh who??
so its dead though right?

kau_cinta_ku
08/25/2007, 04:00 PM
it is dead rock and will not have any coraline on it. I will put my house on the line. it has been dry for a long time which means no coraline

Beemo
08/25/2007, 04:02 PM
ok i will get this then

yay
:D

kau_cinta_ku
08/25/2007, 04:03 PM
good luck. and as i said before just be careful waht you add to the tank cause it also could have coraline. not to make to worry more lol

Beemo
08/25/2007, 04:05 PM
yeah i think it looks coraline free, it looks mad dead lol

and i wont add any snails or things with shells :)

if i still get coraline, well then i just have bad luck

Thinslis
08/25/2007, 04:23 PM
I hope everything works out for you, nothing worse then not wanting to look at your tank =(

Beemo
08/25/2007, 04:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10633442#post10633442 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Thinslis
I hope everything works out for you, nothing worse then not wanting to look at your tank =(

im sure this stuff is good. i emailed the company telling them of my concerns, i'll see what they have to say.
my last reef tank sent me into a depression :(
it was a healthy thriving tank but ruined by coraline all over the glass. i scrubbed it all one day nearly knocking myself out only to have it return a month later.
thats when i tore everything down, along with a few other tanks.
i gave it all away for free thats how much i wanted out!
i have a fish only system now for 6 months with tufa only and no coraline. this is the first tank i can actually relax with.
but tufa sux :lol:

i did keep one 15g nano, and yeah coralines all over the glass etc. i'll keep it til i cant see in the tank anymore..maybe i can then just peak in through the top :lol:

kau_cinta_ku
08/25/2007, 04:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10633354#post10633354 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Beemo
yeah i think it looks coraline free, it looks mad dead lol

and i wont add any snails or things with shells :)

if i still get coraline, well then i just have bad luck

what about having a cleanup crew? lol

Beemo
08/25/2007, 04:52 PM
well the fish im gonna keep will eat them :lol:

triggers, puffers, eel, wrasse etc

kau_cinta_ku
08/25/2007, 04:59 PM
well then yeah good idea not to get them anyway. lol