PDA

View Full Version : What fresh seafood to feed reef-type fish?

coryjac0b
08/25/2007, 07:06 PM
Right now i feed my fish frozen mysis and sometimes some small pieces of gulf shrimp (table shrimp). I would like to give them more variety. Most seafood is readily availabe in my area, i live in new orleans. What other types could i minze or cut up to feed them? Fresh clam, mussels, maybe?

Gary Majchrzak
08/25/2007, 07:08 PM
Orange Shoulder Tang, Scopas Tang, 4 Green Chromis, Scooter Dragonet, Tailspot blenny, Foxface, Yellow Coris Wrasse, Lawnmower Blenny.

these are your fishes?

Pea-brain
08/25/2007, 09:03 PM
Fresh squid

Dan

pinkie
08/25/2007, 09:24 PM
Clams are a great food, as are various types of saltwater fish that are sold at your local fish markets.

Ninong
08/25/2007, 10:37 PM
Wal-Mart sells some nasty looking stuff they call "seafood blend." It has squid and all sorts of seafood in it. A handfull of that would last forever. Just throw it in the blender with a little bit of R.O./D.I. water to chop it up into tiny pieces. You can include several drops of vitamins, like Selcon, if you want. You could even include some nori or some of the commercial brands of seaweed if you want.

Poor the mixture into little plastic baggies and lay them in the freezer so that you have about a 1/4" thick layer of food mixture in each flattened out baggy. When you need to feed your fish, just break off a small piece and put the baggy back in the freezer.

If you want to pick and choose your ingredients separately, you could choose a couple oysters, a couple clams, a small piece of non-oily white flesh saltwater fish, four or five shrimp and a small piece of squid.

P.S. -- How small you make the pieces depends on what fish you need to feed. You need very tiny pieces for zooplanktivorous fish like fairy wrasses and anthias but larger pieces for rabbitfish and tangs. I usually made two batches in the blender -- one very tiny pieces and one larger pieces -- then I mixed them together.

coryjac0b
08/26/2007, 09:06 AM
yes they are, i haven't updated that, there a few more now