PDA

View Full Version : hob skimmer?

Beemo
08/26/2007, 02:58 PM
whats a good hob skimmer under $250 bux for a 220 gallon tank?

i was looking at the Berlin Turbo Hang-On Protein Skimmer, are these any good?
do they release a ton of micro bubbles back in the tank?

tank will be aggressive, no corals

chirojosh
08/26/2007, 03:13 PM
Im in the same boat. I was lloking at a remora pro, but everbody pushed me away from that. Im now looking at the Bermuad rogue wave, which is about 250$, but still waiting for some solid evidence from this thing. Im frustrated with this skimmer and the lack of people using it. I may just spend the $327 and get the in tank tunze 9010. I think I may end up waiting forever before I get anything solid from the rogue.

Beemo
08/26/2007, 03:17 PM
yeah i wont get a remora

the tunze goes inside the tank?? wont that look unsightly?

then they have fission hob...ahhh this is so confusing

Roger928
08/26/2007, 03:27 PM
Love my Remora Pro.

Beemo
08/26/2007, 03:38 PM
i dont think the remora is for larger tanks

says remora pro for tank sizes 40-125 gallons...thats too small

chirojosh
08/26/2007, 03:46 PM
yeah the 9010 goes in the tank. That was my concern too, but people say that it takes as much space as a corner overflow, and isn't that bad. Plus, I havent "seen" (come on rogue owners!) any other HO put out like the 9010 yet. (excpet maybe that deltec, but thats like $500).

Beemo
08/26/2007, 03:51 PM
hmm...nah i think i want an outside hang on...i know looking at it would bother me :p

ive been going over reviews about the berlin turbos, seems they arent that great

then theres the turbofloater, any good?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=8185&Ntt=skimmer&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

chirojosh
08/27/2007, 10:35 AM
man, all I can say is good luck. I only have a 75g, and I cant find anything for under 300. I asked about HO's and I was told, Bermuda rogue or Tunze in tank, everything else is mediocre to garbage. That's for a 75g! Plus I can't find crap about the Bermuda, as you can see I have a thread about it with guess how many responses? ZERO!

yetiman
08/27/2007, 11:32 AM
I have a precision marine HOT1 on my 75 for 5 years now and would highly recomend it.

Beemo
08/27/2007, 12:18 PM
i looked up the marine hot1, says its only for a 50g

well i guess i'll just have to go with the berlin turbo hob rated up to 250 gallons.
how bad can it be?
heck im using a prizm on my 55g for the past 2 years, if it pulls something dark and icky then i know its working :p

hey the seaclones only 80 bux lol

chirojosh
08/27/2007, 01:22 PM
yeah I was considering that skimmer too. I dont have any experience with it, but from what I've read that rating is WAY off. I feel your frustration! :mad2:

chirojosh
08/27/2007, 01:24 PM
from my understanding so far, I think the turbofloater is supposed to be better than the berlin turbo.

Beemo
08/27/2007, 01:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10645447#post10645447 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chirojosh
yeah I was considering that skimmer too. I dont have any experience with it, but from what I've read that rating is WAY off. I feel your frustration! :mad2:

and ya know what, no matter what skimmer there is, theres always a negative response on a forum.
even the best rated skimmers if you search forums someone will says its bad.
i did alot of homework last night on about half a dozen hob skimmers, all of them had negative reactions.

i remember last year how people raved about the aqua c remora's, its kinda funny how people are now dissin' the crap outta them, and i dont consider a skimmer that has to be "modded" good. i mean if ya have to tweak it then whats the point of buying it?
ya just gotta take a risk i think, buy something and hope for the best!

Beemo
08/27/2007, 01:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10645461#post10645461 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chirojosh
from my understanding so far, I think the turbofloater is supposed to be better than the berlin turbo.

turbofloter...okee yes i did read something bad about that last night that made me change my mind.

okee i found it pretty fast, there are more negs about it on different sites, heres just the first one
but like i said, there were bad things about every singel hob out there :(

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/turboskimfaqs.htm

chirojosh
08/27/2007, 03:50 PM
yeah, WWM. That's where I got all my info from first. Then I found it suspicious how they basically would say, yeah that skimmer sucks, get aqua C! So I thought that was going to be the best skimmer. Come here and find out that it sucks horribly, actually someone recently posted a question on there saying that they felt that WWM gave them bad advice by reccommending the remora, there response was well everybody has different experiences. Yeah okay, then why does 99% of people get a remora recommendation? oh there a sponsor and friends, cute. So for me , no remora, no WWM for equipment advice. Just my opinion! Cant wait for my Tunze!!

chirojosh
08/27/2007, 03:53 PM
but like i said, there were bad things about every singel hob out there :(

that's how I felt, til I researched the tunze 9010! I feel much better, knowing Im getting the best skimmer for my situation.

Beemo
08/27/2007, 04:08 PM
the tunze you mention, is that a hang on back?

yeldarbj
08/27/2007, 04:15 PM
I think you'll like the Tunze 9010. I upgraded from a Remora w/ MJ1200 to a Tunze 9010. It's a big difference. I'm running it in tank on my 65g. It takes up some space in my 3' tank, but I think it looks better than the MJ1200 hanging in the tank for the Remora. On a tank that is 4' or longer, the space it takes is minimal. It also helps to have your back of the tank painted black.

Plus, Roger on the Tunze forum provides the absolute best customer service.

chirojosh
08/28/2007, 01:35 PM
the tunze hangs IN the tank. personally Id rather have the much much much better skimmer in the tank, than a crap skimmer on the back. Those other skimmers have pumps that will look like crap in the tank as well. You mind as well have the better skimmer! IMO

Beemo
08/28/2007, 03:05 PM
okee i checked out the tunze, being black it doesnt look too bad, but im not sure if it will be able to fit with my glass hood??
theres no room for the cup to pop out of the top
the opening in the back of the glass hood is 3" max...and im not a glass cutter
:p

LPCHPC
08/28/2007, 04:37 PM
i'm an remora pro fan on my 90g. i do use the skim box and the mag 3. my cup os full every other day, does a fantastic job and have been running it for over 3 yrs.

happyface888
08/30/2007, 08:28 PM
I dont think the remora can keep up with a 220g tank.

Beemo
08/30/2007, 08:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10671776#post10671776 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyface888
I dont think the remora can keep up with a 220g tank.

exactly!

i dont even know why the remora is mentioned in my case

luke33
08/30/2007, 08:45 PM
A remora can't keep up with a 29g. You need an in sump tunze or a sump. Or two good hot skimmers. The old bermuda hot skimmer was great and there s a new one out called a bermuda rogue, its suppose to be better and rated at a 150g tank.....it will pry do a 100g or less but i'd wait to see if its a good one or not. IMO it will be a very good hot skimmer.

happyface888
08/30/2007, 08:47 PM
What was the old bermuda called? Would two typhoons work on that tank?

luke33
08/30/2007, 08:50 PM
Two typhoons would work for a 125g imo, but not a 220g, thats a very large tank for a hot skimmer. The old bermuda was a archisomethin, it had a strange name, but worked better than any hot skimmer i've ever seen.

happyface888
08/30/2007, 09:09 PM
Is there any hot skimmer available for such a big tank? And if not what two skimmers can be used instead?

luke33
08/30/2007, 09:36 PM
There is no hot skimmer that can handle over a 75-125g tank imo. And thats stretching it. The only skimmer that could is a tunze 9010 or up. The bermuda is rated up to a 150g tank and thats pushing it as well. Maybe a 125g max. There's a turbofloater coming out in the next few mths that's pulling 30scfh. Thats very impressive for a hot. And i hear deltec is making another as well. There will be good hot skimmers available in the next year or so taht are good but for now there's just not alot of hot skimmers that are good. Get a recirc if you must.

skimmy
08/30/2007, 10:37 PM
for god's sake man, just get a sump!! is there some reason why you dont want to?
for a predator tank that is 200g, you need serious skimming, not hang on the back scum.
but if you just cant bring yourself to install a sump
i like the idea of just putting a recirculating skimmer behind the tank, excellent idea!!

kodyboy
08/31/2007, 06:33 AM
by all means get a sump, your tank is too large and the bioload too high for any of the current HOBS to really do a good job on.
Get as big a sump as you can, get a decent hob overflow (lifereef) and get an octopus nw200, you will be much happier in the end.
the old rogue wave was called the archipelago

GSMguy
08/31/2007, 07:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10672834#post10672834 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by koraltek
for god's sake man, just get a sump!! is there some reason why you dont want to?
for a predator tank that is 200g, you need serious skimming, not hang on the back scum.
but if you just cant bring yourself to install a sump
i like the idea of just putting a recirculating skimmer behind the tank, excellent idea!!

+1

Beemo
08/31/2007, 08:07 AM
im sump scared!!!

i dont know how to do one...seriously, i look at them and i get confused

my tank isnt drilled either

help me :lol:

but wait, whats a recirculating skimmer?

OliverM3
08/31/2007, 08:55 AM
Well if you don't want a sump why not just use an in sump skimmer? Just put it on a shelf behind or on the side of your tank.

I think most any in sump skimmer can be run on the tank directly.
The only thing you will have the pump in the main tank.

But you would anyway with a HOT skimmer.

That will open up your options to getting a real skimmer.

Beemo
08/31/2007, 08:58 AM
ok so i just buy a regular skimmer, and connect hoses n' stuff to my tank with a pump???

can i put the skimmer under my cabinet?

when it comes to equipment i am just horrible, all those hoses and fittings etc...kinda makes me run in the other direction

this one doesnt look too scary
http://thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/237635/product.web

so am i going in the right direction with this one???
not sure if it would work with my non drilled tank tho? do i just need one of those overflow things? some hose and its good to go??
oh and of course a skimmer...grrr more hoses to get me confused

OliverM3
08/31/2007, 09:03 AM
The return would have to be above your water level and return over the top of the tank.

You wouldn't be able to put it under the cabinet because it would flood with water from your tank.

So you could put it on a near by shelf or cabinet.
Or a simple wall shelf placed to make the skimmers return higher then your tanks water level.

OliverM3
08/31/2007, 09:18 AM
You can get an idea from a picture of my sump.
My skimmer on the is just sitting on a wooden box that brings it over top of the sump.
You could just do the same with your main tank.
Then just run some PVC to locate the drain somewhere overtop of your tank.
The pump that drives the skimmer can be hung/placed in your tank.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/162483Sump.JPG

Or bag the whole idea of HOT skimmer and just get a sump :)

luke33
08/31/2007, 09:20 AM
Or you could get a das ex2 recirc and put it under your stand. Thats the whole point of recirc's vs normal nw's and the longer dwell time, more efficient.....etc

Beemo
08/31/2007, 09:24 AM
dont they sell sumps for dummies??

i need everything in one box...a sump kit, overflow, the plumbing stuff, hoses, pump etc. with simple instructions

they must sell something like this somewhere??

im sure i can pay the petshop to come do this for me...but who knows how much they would charge :eek2:

glassbox-design
08/31/2007, 09:25 AM
skimmers are not pressurized or sealed. with a recirc skimmer the output still must free flow to the tank, hence the need for it to be mounted on a shelf above the tank. an ex-2 would be a nice choice for this application.

Beemo
08/31/2007, 04:16 PM
i think im gonna have to go with CHIRO's advice and get the tunze 9010 in tank skimmer.

i just cant fiddle with shelves and sumps. after looking at sumps all day it seems like a sump will cost alot, like alot alot lol, then add the skimmer and its up to over 500 bux.

the shelf thing is a good idea but it will look unsightly in my newly finished basement...gotta keep it neat ya know :D

then i went and measured how much space i actually have behind my tank, well to my surprise its only 5". the tank cannot be moved (carpet, heavy, you get the point)

so thats how i got to chiro's advice, it seems to fit the bill. its more than id like to spend, and id have to get a black background instead of the blue i wanted, but its the best choice i have.
or i can get like 5 prizm's lol...just kidding

i wish i can see a pic of this tunze in tank skimmer to get an idea of how big its gonna be.
i will have to remove my glass cover and use my 72" PC lighting that has been collecting dust in the back of the basement anyway.
i wanted to go dim because that thing causes hella algae! but maybe those tangs will eat it up!

chiro, do you have a pic of that baby in action?

chirojosh
08/31/2007, 05:06 PM
I personally dont have pics. I cant imagine it being unsightly in a 220. I have zero issue with it on a 75g. I actually am thankful its there! There is some pics of the skimmate it produces.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1136100

not sure if you seen that yet.

Beemo
08/31/2007, 05:16 PM
oh cool thnx
those pics are crazy lol

i think this is the one to get :D

happyface888
08/31/2007, 08:32 PM
Ah glad you found a skimmer, so are you going to get two? :D , you can hide it in the back corners since its place and if you have a black back it should blend it. :)

Beemo
08/31/2007, 08:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10678948#post10678948 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyface888
Ah glad you found a skimmer, so are you going to get two? :D , you can hide it in the back corners since its place and if you have a black back it should blend it. :)

oh yeah sure two..i have an easy $700 bux laying around...NOT! hehe

nah just one, i even have to save up for that one :lol:
ack and i didnt even get up to the power heads yet :eek2:
dang this hobbies to expensive, i need to take up something cheaper, like glueing popsicle sticks or something :p

happyface888
08/31/2007, 09:07 PM
lol true, what powerheads are you planning, bah the koralias are going byebye... :( dam and my diy maxis are not working right they are sucking in water instead of shooting. Kind of worried about using them... come home see a fish that has gotten sucked in...

Beemo
08/31/2007, 09:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10679203#post10679203 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyface888
lol true, what powerheads are you planning, bah the koralias are going byebye... :( dam and my diy maxis are not working right they are sucking in water instead of shooting. Kind of worried about using them... come home see a fish that has gotten sucked in...

hmm, that does sound sorta dangerous

yeah the hydor koralias 4 lol...how did you know thats what i wanted? thats the coolest looking power head. i heard about the recall :(
heck im waiting, the new batch is supposed to be in early sept. according to dr. fosters n smith
marine depot still has them but i think its the old batch.

second choice is aqua clear 900 gph. its not as high as i wanted but it has a good reputation.
i was gonna get the seio's but after finding out they are made by rio i scratched it off my list

happyface888
08/31/2007, 09:22 PM
rios suck lol, I wonder whats in the new batch? different looks or something?I hope they get it stocked because I want one. I need to place a order on one too. I wonder how are they going to recall all of them?

Beemo
09/01/2007, 01:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10679299#post10679299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyface888
rios suck lol, I wonder whats in the new batch? different looks or something?I hope they get it stocked because I want one. I need to place a order on one too. I wonder how are they going to recall all of them?

from what i understand it was a volentary recall. if you had the old one you can get it inspected for free.
and i think stores took them off the shelves??

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15955&Ntt=koralias&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

the number fours are due in sept 7th...i hope this is true!!
cant beat the price too :lol: