PDA

View Full Version : koralia going bye bye?

nemoray
08/26/2007, 04:19 PM
Just for info: If you really like the Koralia pumps for circulation in your display, you may want to pick up a couple extra. In short order, they will no longer be available. I have a couple Koralia 3's, and love them.

gary faulkner
08/26/2007, 04:27 PM
Just bought another 4 for myself.

Why won't they be available?

nemoray
08/26/2007, 04:38 PM
My understanding is that there is a breach of patent lawsuit pending from tunze. One of my LFS has been saying his supplier cannot get them anymore. Today I found out why from another LFS. According to them, the Koralia will have to stop production.

Runfrumu
08/26/2007, 05:01 PM
Geez, I ordered a 3 and had trouble getting it. Good thing though, cause now I'm probably going to order two of the 4's.

mecold
08/26/2007, 05:07 PM
There was a powerhead produced by a company called reeftec that used a prop quite a while before tunze made their stream.

surfjeepzx
08/26/2007, 05:15 PM
Oh geez, I'll have to go underground with my MJMods I've been doing for people.

FWIW, a modded MJ beats them all for size vs flow.

nemoray
08/26/2007, 05:17 PM
The koralia does fill a need. They are powerful, quiet, and so far for me, reliable. Best of all, the checkbook remains intact. I personally believe the market would easily bear both products. Folks who want a Tunze, will buy one based on reputation rather than value. Koralia has helped me break into the hobby with a little savings.

DarG
08/26/2007, 05:32 PM
F'n lawsuits ... maybe we can file a class action suit against Tunze for depriving us of Koralias. Lord forbid another company be allowed to make a prop pump. I guess Resun will be sued as well? Probably not worth the effort there.

I have two Tunze nanos as well as a couple of Koralias. If this is true, I wont buy another Tunze product. They are expensive as it is and in my opinion, with there being plenty of market available for both companies to sell plenty of their little prop pumps, for Tunze to want to corner the market on these would speak volumes about the company beneath the surface, in my mind. Again, this is all assuming it's true.

Seems kinda fishy though seeing how I was reading something recently about Tunze recommending Hydor to go to ceramic shafts in the Koralias. But that may not be true either.

USC-fan
08/26/2007, 05:39 PM
i heard they were making a new version.....

flipteg
08/26/2007, 06:03 PM
what's there to patent...??? it's a propeller attached to a motor block...

mecold
08/26/2007, 08:47 PM
I would wait to see if hydor stops making them before swearing off tunze products. I do know that demand outpaces supply of the hydor pumps.

As far as the maxi mods go, rumor has it that there will be a factory mod made available next year.

Here is to hoping that someone will come out with an affordable dc powered prop powerhead.

gary faulkner
08/26/2007, 08:49 PM
I would really like to see a controller for the Korillas.

happyface888
08/26/2007, 10:32 PM
that sucks to hear....

triggerfreak
08/27/2007, 04:40 AM
Well i posted a question it the vendor forum for dr. fosters and smith to see if they have heard anything about this, since they are a big seller of these pumps. And as of right now they have not heard anything about hydor not producing anymore pumps. So for now i will wait and see if they say anything else about them before i get all upset over it.

Ewan
08/27/2007, 05:50 AM
A lot of heresay and allegations here. Focused against one of the forum's oldest sponsors. Let's keep this tasteful guys.

Wrench
08/27/2007, 06:01 AM
Tunze has a good product but it's way over priced. The Koralias fill the void and I don't see them going anywhere. At least not without a fight.

HecticDialectic
08/27/2007, 06:21 AM
Sure is a lot of misplaced aggression in this thread... some random guy comes in and throws an allegation that as of yet is completely unfounded by one of the largest distributors, and everyone starts bashing Tunze?

I, for one, don't think the Koralias and Tunze even compete for the same market, since the Koralias look like giant sausages, and some people are willing to pay a little more for a well designed variable rate pump.

Dwarf Seahorses
08/27/2007, 06:50 AM
I won't smash Tunze with hate, but I'm very sad to see a good product be taken off the market. It's actually an affordable pump that WORKS. Just another thing to make this hobby even more expensive =(

DarG
08/27/2007, 07:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10642692#post10642692 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HecticDialectic
Sure is a lot of misplaced aggression in this thread... some random guy comes in and throws an allegation that as of yet is completely unfounded by one of the largest distributors, and everyone starts bashing Tunze?

I, for one, don't think the Koralias and Tunze even compete for the same market, since the Koralias look like giant sausages, and some people are willing to pay a little more for a well designed variable rate pump.

The Nano 6025 and 6045 are not "variable rate" pumps. They share the same market with the Koralias. And I've never seen an egg shaped sausage. :eek:

I also cant find anything about them to indicate that the Tunze nanos are a superior product to the Koralias and I use both. But there is a price difference. There is no doubt in my mind that a good protion of the money paid to buy a Tunze product goes toward paying for the name.

As far as bashing Tunze, some of us did temper our comments with "if this is true" and "assuming it is true" ... which should indicate that our response was based on considering the original posters statement an allegation, not a fact.

D.Blaine
08/27/2007, 08:15 AM
I own a Tunze and Koralia and IMO the Koralia is better designed plus it costs less $ cant go wrong there. If this is true it really sucks the Korallia are the best powerheads I ever bought.

Competition is good I don't want Tunze monopolizing everything

mr.maroonsalty
08/27/2007, 08:22 AM
I don't think it takes a nuclear physicist to see how similar they are; maybe we should bash Diamond for their cease and dessist orders on the diy lumenarcs that were being produced and sold at fraction the cost or better yet anyone who claims a photo as their own intellectual property. Wisen up people, if they took someones technology, I don't care how much cheaper somebody can make it, its not their's to produce and sell.

mhurley
08/27/2007, 09:01 AM
I'm going to close this thread as it is nothing by hyperbole and speculation and just going to continue to stir misinformation. If there are any lawsuits pending (and I honestly have no idea if there are), I wouldn't expect either side to discuss them with anyone but their attorney's...that's kind of the point of a legal suit versus the trial of public opinion.