PDA

View Full Version : quick introduction, and need help

Northernblades
08/26/2007, 05:02 PM
Ok Unlike many noobs, I do not already have everything bought, and am not in a panic, however like most, I know squat, and am too lazy to ready all of the stickies.

I have kept Fresh water fish for 20+ years, and kept them responsibly for roughly 5 years. Most of you should understand.

50% weekly changes on a 100 gallon tank. With a well researched group. So I am not completely ignorant. but pretty close.

I am also the type who would rather go big. But not an option right now.

What I am here looking for is information, suggestion and personal experiences. If I wuss out I might just buy a 24 g jbj nano, but that is not my plan as of right now.

I want a marginal reef tank, I am most interested in blemmies, gobies, and inverts. Along with small weird things cohabitating the tank.

I planned on setting up 2x 10 gallon, or 2x 20 gallon (one tank 1 sump) and would like to invest in a higher end protein skimmer suitable for my 100 gallon tank should I chose to upgrade later.

With planning to keep corals, I would also like to start out with a calcium reactor, again suitable for future upgrade.

I do plan on incorporating a refugium. And have moderate diy skills. As I have designed and built freshwater systems.

What I was looking for here are recommendations for protein skimmers, light setups, calcium reactors, if 2 x 10 gallon tanks is too small to bother with any of this stuff.

along with a list of livestock that people have loved and still love. (Wanted a flame angel soo bad, but I have heard stories of recent problems)

Roger928
08/26/2007, 05:27 PM
http://wetwebmedia.com/marine/index.htm

MattG
08/26/2007, 05:32 PM
I wouldnt bother with a calcium reactor or skimmer on a tank this size. If i were you i would just pick up an all in one tank. When you decide to go big you will have a good handle on keeping a marine tank and a better idea of what you want equipment wise. Best of luck

Northernblades
08/26/2007, 05:53 PM
any recomendations for critters?
I have a small list of critters I was thinking about. kind of curious as to what you figure a good place to start is.

honestly personality/activity are most important, as a prety fish that sits there or hides isn't my Idea of a good time. still just going to sit around and wait for feedback.

Lotus99
08/26/2007, 10:03 PM
Most of the gobies have a nice personality. In a smaller tank, you're a little limited on what you can keep. Cleaner shrimp are pretty amusing, too.