PDA

View Full Version : Filters

Ranzan
08/26/2007, 11:54 PM
Im just wondering what kind of filters everyone uses.. Im looking for the best i can get :D

wooden_reefer
08/26/2007, 11:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10642107#post10642107 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ranzan
Im just wondering what kind of filters everyone uses.. Im looking for the best i can get :D

Are you planning on a FO tank with large fish?

Ranzan
08/27/2007, 12:26 PM
im not planning on anything i have 3 very large tanks under contruction as it is im just wondering what kind of filters everyone uses and there opinions on them

wooden_reefer
08/27/2007, 03:42 PM
I think the best filter depends on what type of tank you want.

FO with large fish at one end and reef with just a few small fish at the other.

Bluesop7
08/27/2007, 04:39 PM
What would be a good filtration system for a 75 gallon FO tank for instance?

wooden_reefer
08/27/2007, 04:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10646946#post10646946 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bluesop7
What would be a good filtration system for a 75 gallon FO tank for instance?

If your fish will grow large, wet-dry with separate denitrification.

many people like liverock for FO tanks, I don't.

A wet-dry is very inexpensively to make and effectively for a FO tank with large fish. A wet-dry is a very good combination of nitrification and gaseous exchange.

On the other hand, wet-dry is so oxygenated (aerobic) that it suppresses denitrification, so you should have some separate setup that allows denitrification. Otherwise, your nitrate is going to be high.

Ranzan
08/27/2007, 05:50 PM
just finished all the math for the new ray tank its 364.65 gallons and will be holding 2 cortez rays :D:D:D any good ideas for a filter

wooden_reefer
08/27/2007, 10:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10647428#post10647428 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ranzan
just finished all the math for the new ray tank its 364.65 gallons and will be holding 2 cortez rays :D:D:D any good ideas for a filter

How big do they get?

The heavier the bioload, the more wet-dry is indicated. Wet-dry has the greater nitrification capacity for the volume.

Actually, for the sake of arguement, one can drip on live rock. So one can have a wet-dry filter using live rock as the medium.

But I would use crushed coral enclosed by several layers of well-stretched nylon panty hose, making about 4-5" balls. Stack them and drip on them. Works great and cheap.

Ranzan
08/27/2007, 11:38 PM
wouldnt that cause ALOT of die off and horrible smell

wooden_reefer
08/28/2007, 11:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10649962#post10649962 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ranzan
wouldnt that cause ALOT of die off and horrible smell

Why?

Actually, I'd cycle the balls of crushed coral very thoroughly using a separate large plastic container placed in the garage. Stack the balls like a pyramid. Use a submergible pump or a power head. Very high flow rate not necessary. The output is connected with a hose. Just rest the tip of the hose onto the top of the pyramid weighed down by a flat piece of heavy rock so that water does not splash out. The water will cascade down nicely. The gaseous exchange will be good. Add a bacteria seed. Use decay of fish food as the source of ammonia. Add repeatedly three or four times about a week apart. Damp the water after cycling.

In the actual application in the aquarium, even better gaseous exchange is achieved by a heavy shower onto the crushed coral balls evenly placed with air spaces. The heavy shower is created by water draining into a shallow tray with holes on the bottom. You want to minimize salt creep so you want mostly enclosed wet-dry chamber with just enough air passage into the chamber.

Hint: the several layers of nylon panty hose better be well-stretched so that the balls are firm and takes a spherical shape as it rest by gravity. This way there are more spaces among them. You can also add spacers to promote air flow among them. If the balls are limp then it would be just a big pile.