PDA

View Full Version : 10ppm Calcium.

trinitower
08/27/2007, 09:37 AM
Does anyone use salifert test kits?
I picked up a calcium test kit before I added any corals and per instructions I should see the suspension turn from pink to a clear blue.

I have done this twice with no pink comming from the get go... defective kit or... dangerously low levels of calcium in my reef?

Eric.

der_wille_zur_macht
08/27/2007, 09:40 AM
Defective kit, or (no offense) improper use. Saltwater probably wouldn't be very stable in several ways at only 10ppm calcium, and you'd surely see signs of problems with your livestock.

Check the water with another test kit or take it to an LFS for sampling.

trinitower
08/27/2007, 09:45 AM
No offense taken. I have a natural ability (According to everyone that knows me in RL) to figure out solutions to the most complex problems yet failing at menial tasks.

Probably improper use of the kit. I will read and reread those instructions again.

Eric.

kevinohio
08/27/2007, 09:46 AM
did you get an alk test as well? I am wondering because the color change in the CA salifert test it will turn Blue.
The salifert test kit for alk turns pink.
At least everyone i have used it that way

trinitower
08/27/2007, 10:17 AM
Ok. Being my stingy self I was using half the recomended liquids for the Salifert test. So I decided to use it as it is supporsed to be and found that it works great. :rolleyes:

My calcium is a little bit high.. as a matter of fact. I need to let the coraline algeqa and my new shrooms take some calcium. Its around 500ppm. I should get more corals.

I dont need to dose yet.

Eric.