PDA

View Full Version : Check out my MP-40!!

jnarowe
08/27/2007, 09:51 PM
Some people say I am a little hard on my equipment.....

This Vortech has not stalled:

http://home.wavecable.com/~jrowe/vortech%20coraline1.jpg

http://home.wavecable.com/~jrowe/vortech%20coraline2.jpg

Yes that is coraline growing like there's no tomorrow...and this unit was directly below a 1000W MH lamp. Those are columbellid sp. stuck in the shroud. They are just the right shape to get stuck, and this keeps the population down. :D

EcoTech Marine
08/28/2007, 07:25 AM
Great picture Jon!

One of the greatest aspects of the VorTech pump is that it does not require regular cleaning the way conventional powerheads do. There is no tight cylinder lining to get gummed up with precipitated calcium or other gunk. Therefore, pumps can run very long without any maintenance at all.

-Tim

jnarowe
08/28/2007, 09:01 AM
Hey Tim, I thought you would get a kick out of that. And herein lies my reason for encouraging others to get a spare wet side. This one is soaking in vinegar and when I scrub it off, it will have to be soaked again to get down to the plastic. In the meantime, my pump is running the whole time since I have the extra to swap out.

I would ike titanium blades though, as mine are slowly getting dings from smacking snails. :lol: Why they are so attracted to the MP-40 is beyond me.

EcoTech Marine
08/28/2007, 09:21 AM
We're working hard on getting wet side assemblies to the mail order and local shops for ~$50-$65 price point. We agree that customers should have spare wet sides to make cleaning and maintenance less of an issue.

We also are only a week or two away from the foam cover for the pump.

-Tim

jnarowe
08/28/2007, 10:03 AM
Interesting developments Tim. I sure am curious how the foam cover affects performance and balance of the wet end. I am looking forward to trying that out. :)

EcoTech Marine
08/28/2007, 10:24 AM
It won't affect the balance but it's likely that peak performance will be diminished somewhat. I'd say its mostly for people with small tanks that are worried about smaller, slower swimming fish.

-Tim

jnarowe
08/28/2007, 10:34 AM
yeah that makes sense. it may have some use for me with these snails too, but it all depends on how much it reduces flow. I would guess over time, it wold slowly diminish but like anything else, a good round of washing would probably bring it back up. Can't wait to SEE it! :D

GSMguy
08/28/2007, 10:55 AM
i have a green slimmer chunk stuck in mine and its starting to encrust lol im going to leave it for now

jnarowe
08/28/2007, 11:04 AM
well take a pic and post it here! :)

TK3
08/29/2007, 12:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10651528#post10651528 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
Hey Tim, I thought you would get a kick out of that. And herein lies my reason for encouraging others to get a spare wet side. This one is soaking in vinegar and when I scrub it off, it will have to be soaked again to get down to the plastic. In the meantime, my pump is running the whole time since I have the extra to swap out.

I would ike titanium blades though, as mine are slowly getting dings from smacking snails. :lol: Why they are so attracted to the MP-40 is beyond me.

Where'd you get a spare wet side? Great idea.

EDIT: Tim I guess you guys are planning to make those available in the near future? Any anticipated date (doesn't need to be specific. Just .. weeks, months)?

EcoTech Marine
08/29/2007, 07:29 AM
Hi TK3-

Right now you can purchase a wet side assembly directly from me for $100. However we are working on getting these through the normal distribution channels at a lower price. For that it could take a few months.

-Tim

ipluu
08/29/2007, 11:49 AM
Tim,

Is the new foam cover anemone safe? Mine Vortech almost killed the rose anemone twice when I first introduced it into my tank.

Thanks

EcoTech Marine
08/29/2007, 12:16 PM
It will greatly improve the odds of the pump being safe in an anemone tank, however we do not consider any pump truly 100% anemone safe. Your taking a risk any time you put an anemone in with a powerhead.

-Tim

jnarowe
08/29/2007, 01:28 PM
CHOP CHOP CHOP! :lol:

Fliger
08/29/2007, 02:10 PM
Great picture!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10651638#post10651638 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EcoTech Marine
We're working hard on getting wet side assemblies to the mail order and local shops for ~$50-$65 price point. We agree that customers should have spare wet sides to make cleaning and maintenance less of an issue.

We also are only a week or two away from the foam cover for the pump.

-Tim

Thats awesome. Do you guys think you'll stick with the spacer pins? They're kind of difficult to work with, why not just have insert discs? I did bend one of mine, before I realized I don't need the spacer at all since my tank is around 5/8 inch.

Looking so forward to these drivers!

Philwd
08/29/2007, 03:41 PM
Hey Jonathon,
That's nothing :D. You should have seen mine couple weeks ago. Covered in stuff. Valonia you name it. Corraline isn't the only thing that likes to grow on Vortechs. :D

jnarowe
08/29/2007, 03:48 PM
Yeah, well that one had micro valonia back behind the prop too. Tough to get out when it's really small and tight. I love watching my tangs try to grab algae off them as they get blown across the tank. Seems like a game to them. :)