PDA

View Full Version : what Media to use in Kalk Reactor ?

Brent Thomann
08/28/2007, 09:27 AM
I recently picked up a MyReefCreation Nilsen/Kalk Reactor (Standard) (http://www.myreefcreations.com/nilsen.htm)

I understand people use different stuff in there reactors (Kalk, limewater, etc.) and some media is more expensive than others, etc. Whats a cost effective media that I won't have to keep adding weekly to the reactor. Trying to get by with as less maintenance as possible, hopefully will last at least 3 to 4 weeks.

Main goal is to increase my PH and ALK, also running CA Reactor that hasn't been able to keep up with my corals demands.

Also, would be helpful sharing where to get the media online.

Much Appreciated,
Brent

stony_corals
08/28/2007, 09:30 AM
The only thing made for a Nilsen is kalkwasser... check out twopartsolution.com...

ShapeGSX
08/28/2007, 09:36 AM
I use Mrs Wages Pickling Lime. You can get it at Walk Mart (as much as I hate shopping there) in the canning section. $2.50 for a 16oz container of it.

It is the same stuff as you would get in any fish store, but much cheaper.

burris
08/28/2007, 10:33 AM
kalk is just the german word for lime, kalkwasser is german for limewater.... it is all the same stuff, calcium hydroxide. The cheapest source for small quantities (gallons, not truckloads) is twopartsolution.com and it is also high quality (mississippi lime brand.)

People complain about the quality of Mrs. Wages, they say it leaves yellow insoluable stuff at the bottom of their reactor. That is certainly calcium carbonate from sitting around for a while reacting with CO2 from the air.

Brent Thomann
08/28/2007, 10:44 AM
just ordered some from twopartsolution.com

thank you very much!

Brent Thomann
08/30/2007, 02:45 PM
going to be setting up the kalk reactor, couple questions.

How much kalk should I start with and how should I originally set my mixing timers. The Kalk reactor has two built in timers on it- One timer when the mixing occurs and another for the length of the mix and I believe the reactor can handle up to 4 cups of kalk.

Remember I am using a ca reactor so I 'd like to set the new kalk reactor to its minimum performance and then please instruct me on how to increase its performance as needed.

My current PH is between 7.9 - 8 night and day and my ALK drops from 9. to 8. over night with about 2 to 3 gallons of evaporation a day.

Will be using a Litermeter3 to pull water out of ro/di storage tank pushing water through new kalk reactor and in to my sump where I have a Litermeter3 Top-Off module installed.

Again, I really appreciate your time.
Brent