PDA

View Full Version : anyone use ferro cement for building large tanks?

mmm55645
08/28/2007, 09:47 AM
Anyone use ferro cement to build large tanks? I don't know that much about it, but it seems like it would be strong enough to use instead of using only rebar to create reinforced concrete.

I am thinking of a tanks in the 1000+ gallons size.

Seems like it wouldn't be terribly expensive to build on if you knew what you were doing(I do not) :)

bosborn1
08/28/2007, 02:25 PM
Its my dream to one day try this.

I am a mason by trade and I do poured wall construction. One day I hope to try this out.

Its not required to use ferro. You can always use fiber reinforced concrete with a plasticizer and water reducer to create additional strength.

For me to build a 2000 gallon tank it would only cost about $1k in concrete. Add the glass and its still pretty cheap.

onetrickpony
08/28/2007, 03:25 PM
chk out monster fish . com

mmm55645
09/01/2007, 12:36 PM
Bosborn1, is it cheaper and/or more effective to use fiber reinforced concrete with a plasticizer and water reducer than it is to use chicken wire?
May I pm you a few questions about your trade? There are a few things I been wondering about regarding working with concrete :)

would glass be as safe to use as aryclic or would glass be better for your 2000 gallon tank?

bosborn1
09/01/2007, 04:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10681990#post10681990 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mmm55645
Bosborn1, is it cheaper and/or more effective to use fiber reinforced concrete with a plasticizer and water reducer than it is to use chicken wire?
May I pm you a few questions about your trade? There are a few things I been wondering about regarding working with concrete :)

would glass be as safe to use as aryclic or would glass be better for your 2000 gallon tank?

In addition to the concrete blended with those additives I am planning to use Rebar and Remesh in the walls and floors.

I would never use chicken wire as its not engineered for load tolerances in the range that I am looking at.

If the question are in releation to the aquarium hobby I would be happy to answer. If its for a sidewalk or something I would prefer you to ask a local in your area as the information for concrete and masonry can be region specific.

I was planning on laminated glass as i have a friend in the glass buisness and get it at cost. The attachment system for the glass will be made from engineered lumber sealed using the MAS system epoxy.

Right now this whole thing is still in the planning stage as I need to move to a different house and the tank is kinda a center piece to an addition. Really i think you will only way to make this cost effective is by doing most of the work yourself and building the room around the tank

Scott