PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Waste water from RO/DI machine?

CaptNemo
08/28/2007, 11:14 AM
Hello everyone,
I want to buy an RO/DI machine since i hate carrying water home from lfs now. Anyway, what can i do with the waste water? I believe it is better quality than tap water right?
1) Can i use it to change water for my freshwater fish?
2) Can i use it to cook or something?
3) since the water run through the DI thing, does it have any bad effect if i use water for water change for freshwater fish?

Thanks,

davocean
08/28/2007, 11:16 AM
Water your plants.

DSKinchen
08/28/2007, 11:54 AM
use it for your fw tank. the waste water has slightly more solids (about 1/3 to 1/4 more by volume) than regular tap water and it's been stripped of chlorine and other nasties. it will have no negative effect. Otherwise, water your plants!

PSam
08/28/2007, 12:02 PM
I do laundry (top loader), water house / courtyard plants, change FW tank (50' RO tube that I run directly into the tank)

old salty
08/28/2007, 12:51 PM
I use it to do laundry, but using for a FW tank is a good idea; I never even thought of that. I tried RO water for the tank, but the plants didn't care for it. I have been using dechlorinated tap water for the past 2 years.

Thanks for the idea!!

CaptNemo
08/28/2007, 01:02 PM
Hi Dskinchen,
I was wondering how come it has more solid matter in the waste water? I thought it went through the carbon already. I don't know much about this matter, if you could explain it in more detail, that's would be great.
Thanks,

AZDesertRat
08/28/2007, 01:20 PM
The waste stream is 20 to 25% higher in TDS than tap water since it is the 4 part of the 4:1 waste ratio. It is used to flush the solids away from the membrane and carry them away. So for every one gallon of good water you get 4 gallons of flush, brine or waste water with the extra solids the obe good gallon used to contain.
It has been through a pre or sediment filter and a crabon filter but neither does much for dissolved solids, only suspended or larger solids. The RO membrane is waht removes the dissolved solids. It has not been through the DI as that is after the RO membrane.
It is safe for almost all uses where hard water or high TDS water is suitable. A freshwater or planted tank would probably be fine with it.

Charlie97L
08/28/2007, 02:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10652693#post10652693 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PSam
I do laundry (top loader), water house / courtyard plants, change FW tank (50' RO tube that I run directly into the tank)

fw use will depend on your fish stock and what plants you keep, if any... if it's a basic FW tank, with run of the mill community fish, it should work decently.

however, many plants, and some fish, need the water on the softer side. just do your research and you'll be fine!