PDA

View Full Version : The Responsible Fishkeeper's Manifesto

hmello@bermexin
08/28/2007, 12:53 PM
Ran across this and thought it should be quoted each time anyone wants to keep something in a tank that it should not be kept in.

1) For each aquatic species, there exists a set of accessible conditions (minimum aquarium size, companions, water parameters, nourishment, etc.) in which it can be properly maintained in captivity without loss of its general quality of life.

2) For each aquatic species, there exists a set of accessible procedures to develop commercial breeding programs, or controlled harvesting programs, so as to guarantee sustainable development for the aquarium trade without long-term threat to the wild populations.

3) Responsible fishkeeping is based on seeking, learning, developing and promoting awareness of these conditions and procedures, such that our amateur or professional practice of the hobby does not occur at the expense of our captive pets' well being, nor in detriment to the ecosystem.

barbra
08/28/2007, 01:26 PM
That's great, it is definitely something that should be posted in every LFS, haha. It wouldn't happen though. Did someone give it to you when they heard you had a Goniopora?

hmello@bermexin
08/28/2007, 01:33 PM
No but I wish I would have had more information than from just the LFS that told me it was a photosynthetic variety and did not need to be fed. It has since died and I feel really bad about it because it was a beautiful red branched-yellow polyped one that lasted about 3.5 months. (it was actually a gorgonian not goniopora, have to change that in my sig, thanx)
Yeah I agree every fish store should have that as their credo. I actually found it on Age of Aquariums.

barbra
08/28/2007, 01:39 PM
I received a Goniopora as a "gift" from a well-meaning friend. A puppy would have been a better choice. I feed it all the time, but I feel like I am fighting a losing battle when I see all those little mouths looking at me :(

hmello@bermexin
08/28/2007, 01:43 PM
Sometimes I feel the same way about my sun coral. But then it surprises me and opens right up and feeds. Hard to get all of those little mouths a piece of food with the stupid cleaner and peppermint shrimp out picing at it like they never ate before.

barbra
08/28/2007, 02:02 PM
I cut out the bottom of a huge clear plastic container and I set it over the top of the Goniopora when I feed it to keep the food in and the thieves out. It works pretty well, but the wrasse will snake it way in if I don't pay attention. Maybe that would work for your trouble too?

barbra
08/28/2007, 02:04 PM
I keep my peppermint shrimp in the sump and only let them out to clean up Aipstasia every couple of months. They're wretched little beasts. I do like them a lot in spite of their ways though.

hmello@bermexin
08/28/2007, 02:10 PM
I am gonna try the bottle trick. Thanx.