PDA

View Full Version : What to feed a tiny mantis?

jcerdena
08/28/2007, 06:03 PM
Hey everyone, i picked up a tiny mantis shrimp, (which I'm thinking is a N. Curacaoensis, from its coloration) that is about or just under an inch long. I'm having some trouble getting the mantis to take mysis shrimp, which is about the only thing I can think of that is small enough for the mantis to eat. Does anyone have any suggestions of other foods I could try?

I have Silversides that i might try to cut up real small, but not sure if that would work (my always hungry G. Chiragra won't even eat them). If you have a micro-mantis, let me know what worked for you.

Abaco24
08/28/2007, 06:08 PM
Why are people keeping Mantis Shrimp?

I thought they were the death of a tank? Like having the plague.

Aside from the conservative "it's a live animal" etc..why not just crush it or throw down the toilet?

as a noob I'm confused?

gemini aquarius(t)
08/28/2007, 06:27 PM
they are really amazing animals for one, and they really arent that bad
for one the only thing they are gonna eat is ur fish (maybe) and ur hermits/snails
so ur corals are safe
so why not
they are WAYYYY smarter than anything else u have in the tank

ck1
08/28/2007, 06:32 PM
That is the reason the this forum is needed- so those who are uninformed about mantis shrimp.

Cripes- if animals were smarter- we as humans would be in trouble- because they should crush and flush us for destroying the environment. :rolleyes:

jcerdena
08/28/2007, 06:39 PM
I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with taking the "conservative" approach, unless you are one of those people that end up with a mantis hitch-hiker and don't want to tear your reef apart to take it out.

Personally, I like them for their coloration and behavior. I have a tank with fish and corals as well, but really don't enjoy it as much and it tends to be more high-maintenance.

jcerdena
08/28/2007, 06:40 PM
Back to the question at hand. Any food suggestions for my mini Mantis???

gemini aquarius(t)
08/28/2007, 06:43 PM
you could try some vitamin enriched brine(live)

jcerdena
08/28/2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks, I"ll give that a try. I would imagine that might foul up my water pretty quick though. I have this mantis in an 8 gallon Oceanic cube, so water quality may become an issue if he isn't eating what i put in there.

Agu
08/28/2007, 08:00 PM
If you use a feeding stick and tease him a little bit I would bet any food would be desirable ? If I put a bug on the end of my mantis' feeding stick I suspect he'd at least try it.

fwiw,

tmz
08/28/2007, 08:10 PM
I kept a hitchhiker in a species only tank for a yearand a half. It fared well on brine myssi bloodworm and sinking carnivore pellets. With the tiny one you might try cyclopese.

helipilot
08/28/2007, 08:36 PM
I remember a guy feeding his small smithii brine shrimp through a straw.

DanInSD
08/29/2007, 01:00 AM
First, feed mysis rather than brine -- much more nutritious. Second, try little bits of krill, silversides, or other frozen goodies. For my small mantis, I stick them on the end of a bamboo skewer (with a nice sharp point). Works great.

Dan

Thurge
08/29/2007, 08:42 AM
When Squirtle was that small he would take sinking pellets. I also fed him Mysis, bits of krill and silversides, and small hermits and Bumble Bee snails.

jcerdena
08/29/2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm going to try a couple of different foods to see what works best. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

justinl
08/31/2007, 12:02 PM
at that size he might even take to cyclopeeze. one other thing you might do is enrich the mysis. I find that my G. smithii actually prefers his krill after a soak in selcon. he'll still eat it even without the soak, but he just gives me this look that says "so where's the sauce to go with it you schmuck?"

Gangsta Nemo
09/01/2007, 09:37 PM
I feed my hamifera a mix of selcon soaked live brine, frozen mysis and cyclopeeze. Seems to keep him happy .:)