PDA

View Full Version : red slime algae w/ good water quality

FUA
08/28/2007, 06:27 PM
does red slime algae ever apear on substrate with good water quality. My phosphates read at 0ppm my nitrate is below 3ppm. just wondering if it ever pops up with good water quality. I am also starting to just get some attractive macro algae growing off my rocks. Mostly red but pretty sure it is not red slime. any experience with this would be helpful. thanks

bertoni
08/28/2007, 07:33 PM
Moved to NTTH for more views.

The water parameters are good most likely because the red slime (cyanobacteria) is removing nutrients about as quickly as they're released. There are lots of ideas for dealing with the issue: reduced feeding, better skimming, growing and harvesting a macroalga, and adding a GFO like PhosBan or RowaPhos to the system.

For a 10g system, more water changes and perhaps reducing feeding are where I'd start. How much is being fed, and how often?

FUA
08/29/2007, 04:34 AM
feeding moderately but I just added a seaclone 100. I am upgrading to a 29g with a 20L sump. the 10g will share the sump. so hopefully the extra water will help out. I guess I started feeding more because I knew that I had the skimmer now. I will cut back my feeding and see what happens. thanks.

bertoni
08/29/2007, 10:55 AM
You're welcome! Good luck!