PDA

View Full Version : coral keeping

oysterxfast5
08/28/2007, 09:10 PM
How do you know if your keeping the coral helthy or if it is slowly dieing. I am new to the reef tank and just have a brain and galaxia for around five months and they havents died yet. is that anything to go on for good reef keeping or would i have to wait for a year to know. I dont have the expensive set ups just a cheap protein skimmer pc lights and a few pwoerheads.

Fish Filet
08/28/2007, 09:16 PM
Definitely a good sign that they're still alive after five months. Aside from that, good husbandry practices will almost always provide for your corals a healthy environment to thrive in. Somethings you want to take into consideration are good water quality, which can be maintained by water changes, addition of some additives such as Calcium, stable Alkalinity, and pH levels. Good diet for your corals that include good lighting for photosynthesis and keeping harmful toxins i;e NO3, PO4 etc in check.

There are many ways to skin the cat here. You do not have to have expensive equipment and all kinds of gadgets and wizardry to maintain a successful reef. Sounds like you're doing very well. Do you have any pictures?

oysterxfast5
08/28/2007, 09:21 PM
I do a water change every week. aroung a 4 to 5 ina 30. i am thinking about useing ro from my friends houes but for some reason i thought i read you have to add a buch of things to it for it to work so i havent tried. i tend to keep the param in check but i dont feed the coarls just the light but it is still got the green color. no pics. the brain coral is about a 1/4 dead but i bought it that way for cheap and it isnt that noticable. 12 for a pieace i have seen at the same store for like 70 of coruse the 70 was little bigger and in good health but all in all a good deal.

Fish Filet
08/28/2007, 09:25 PM
An RO unit is probably one of the best investments you will make for your reef. Notice I say investment for I don't believe an RO unit to be a cost because this investment will yield great rewards. Well, sounds look you're doing well.

Happy reefing :)

oysterxfast5
08/28/2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks. Do you think i should use my friends ro water off of his house for now. cause he said i could if i wanted to.

Fish Filet
08/28/2007, 09:29 PM
Absolutely. If you can, get a TDS meter also, just to see how well his RO unit is working. They're cheap and are great at determining when you need to replace your cartridges/resin etc.

oysterxfast5
08/28/2007, 09:31 PM
probly get it before the next water change then.

Fish Filet
08/28/2007, 09:33 PM
Good deal :)

oysterxfast5
08/28/2007, 09:36 PM
its not much but my lfs get like 29 per gallon. i suppose that would add up eventaly but for free from a friend cant beat that.