PDA

View Full Version : Power requirements

Speedway_06
08/29/2007, 10:55 AM
I probably have a dumb question but I am very green to this hobby and want to make sure I do it right the first time. With lights, pumps, skimmers, etc. how much power am I going to need to run a 90 gal tank. As with most houses there is usually one outlet per wall in my house. Do I need to run an additional one or two outlets on a seperate circuit or will those two plugs, using a powerstrip or two suffice for the requirements of the tank. Thanks in advance to all that respond.

an411
08/29/2007, 11:06 AM
I think that the 2 outlets are ok I have my 120 gallon tank running off 2 power strips that I have connected to one outlet. The only thing that I changed is the outlet to GCFI. which you want if you are working around water. HTH

seapug
08/29/2007, 11:15 AM
I have two six-plug power strips powering my 90. They power 560W lights, pump, powerheads, protien skimmer, and heater. They are plugged into one two-outlet plug on my wall. I consulted with an electrician who was at my house doing some work about whether or not I should add another outlet (or a few). He said as long as you aren't daisy-chaining power strips the way I had it set up was the best way to go.