PDA

View Full Version : Zoo Behavior

ellisz
08/29/2007, 08:34 PM
Hi all,

I used to have a 75 gal w/ 2x250 MH + 2x54 T5 actinic. My zoos did great and had excellent color. This was with Reeflux 12k MH's and 03 Actinic T5 and a blue+ T5.

I moved everything to a 180 gal and used the same fixture but added another 250w and 2 55 watt PC actinics. I changed from the Reeflux 12k's to the Reeflux 10k. The color change on my acros was stunning but my zoos don't open as far and their color is less than what they used to be. I get better opening and color in my frag tank with a 150w 14k phoenix bulb.

Question is why the difference? Is it solely the bulbs? Will adding more actinic help? Will lowering my actinic help(currently 12" off the water). I am currently only lighting the MH's on the ends since I had a ballast problem and the lighting looks decent as it stands. The zoos have not seemed to care one way or the other though. I actually like my zoos that have slipped under a rock or coral. Seems like the shade makes them happier. I did switch from Oceanic salt to Red Sea Pro at the same time but I figure this should not be an issue.

I was going to try XM 20k bulbs for a different look but that cause my ballast problem and I have not experimented any more.

Thoughts? I like my mixed reef and want to make all the colors POP!

Thanks

MTB
08/29/2007, 09:43 PM
I doubt it's the salt. I used Red Sea Coral Pro and had great colors on my zoos.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Reeflux 10k's have a higher par output over the 12k's? Maybe the zoos are losing color cause they're bleaching? I am no expert and this is just a thought of mine. The PC's may also have less of a punch with actinic output compared to the T-5s. Which could also lower the dramatic color effect you were experiencing before.

ellisz
08/30/2007, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the reply.

My zoos are located under the MH/T5 fixture. The PC fixture is only covering the 2ft section on the right side. I keep my zoos on the sand bed so I would doubt they are bleaching. They are not dieing, they just don't look as nice. I moved the tank in April so the lights gave been burning for almost 5 months.

I have wondered if the lights are farther up now in the 180 vs the 75. I think the 180 is taller. The fact that some zoos look better if they are being shaded would contradict this. I know the Par on the 10's is alot more than the 12s which is why I switched. Not sure if this is the issue though.

650-IS350
08/30/2007, 08:31 AM
light shock..

probably need some acclimation time to the new lights.. just like most coral do.