PDA

View Full Version : Floss or no floss

grouper25
08/30/2007, 08:55 AM
I have elected to buy a sulphur denitrator to rid my tank of nitrates which approximate 80ppm in my 220. I have a 45 gallon sump, MRC2 skimmer and Aqua 40 w UV and a large bio load. I also use a Fluval X5 cannister filter(860 GPH) which I have only kept floss in as carbon is in the sump. The Fluval does an amazing job at polishing my water. It is absolutely crystal clear with zero particulate matter floating around. However, given where the filter is located and the time it takes to open and clean it, it is not something I desire to do each week as I do with the sponge blocks in my sump.

So the question is this. I am concerned that the build up of waste on the floss that is in the Fluval, assuming I currently change the floss every 60 days , is contributing to my nitrate problem, irrespective of the new denitrator I will be adding. I love what the Fluval does and am not losing it. Therefore, should I continue to use floss in it or pack it with some of the Ehiem small substrate?
In either case, I am not sure which option will have greater efficacy in minimizing nitrates.

DetectiveTofu
08/30/2007, 09:01 AM
IMHO with respect to the nitrates, I would be rid of the filter floss pads in the Fluval canister. Unless that is, you're willing to change/clean in every week, or every other week. Anything that traps and holds onto garbage from your tank will only feed nitrates back into your tank. There will probably a slight decrease in the efficiency of the filter floss if but, maybe you can try putting the floss in your sump in order to still utilize the filter floss?

aquarius77
08/30/2007, 03:01 PM
60 days between cleanings is not gonna get it done. Id bet anything thats where the trates are comming from...

oct2274
08/30/2007, 03:11 PM
i would agree that the fluval is definitely contributing to the nitrate level. You could try putting live rock rubble in the fluval, but I'd ditch it totally and do some water changes.

jayybird
08/30/2007, 08:05 PM
Get rid of the floss.

grouper25
08/31/2007, 06:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10669516#post10669516 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aquarius77
60 days between cleanings is not gonna get it done. Id bet anything thats where the trates are comming from...

I think you are right on point Kevin. The issue is its a royal pain to take this mother apart and it is buried deep under the cabinet in the back. I like the idea of floss in the sump as its readily accessible.

grouper25
08/31/2007, 07:02 AM
It seems the general concenses here is to ditch the floss, pads and cannister. Ok but, that would seem I would only be left with live rock in the sump which means paticulate matter will just flow down , flow through sump and and get returned to the tank which is sub-optimal. I do use a prefilter pad (10x12") into which both inflow spouts drop water from the tank . That I clean each week. Is that how all of you are set up....
Thanks mates.

szwab
08/31/2007, 08:43 AM
Another thing to consider are the foam blocks in the sump. how often are those getting cleaned? As mentioned, think of it this way from the moment detritus gets caught in floss, or a block it is decomposing, thus creating nitrates. Have you ever tried running the tank w/o the floss and foam blocks? You may be suprised at how clear the water stays. You may not need the sulpher filter with a few tweaks here and there. If you are running carbon in the canister? If so, that is contributing to the clarity of your water as well. If you like the canister keep using it just really limit the use of media tat will trap detritus.

akopley
08/31/2007, 08:45 AM
I'm having the same issue. I really want to get all the particles out of my water but don't know a way of doing it without using filter floss.

szwab
08/31/2007, 08:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10674469#post10674469 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by akopley
I'm having the same issue. I really want to get all the particles out of my water but don't know a way of doing it without using filter floss.

filter socks ae effective. I m not a big fan of them because they have the same issues. You could try using one for a day or 2 to polish the water, then remove it.

akopley
08/31/2007, 08:53 AM
word. thanks