PDA

View Full Version : im confused!

am3gross
08/30/2007, 12:01 PM
i want to get a calcium reactor. looking at the korallin kalkreactor. is that the same thing as a calcium reactor? will it do the same thing? thanks for the help in advance.

mike gross

raynist
08/30/2007, 12:07 PM
They are different. A kalk reactor mixes lime with RO water.

A calcium reactor will use CO2 to break down coral skeleton type material in the reactor so the calcium is dispersed into your tank.

SlowCobra
08/30/2007, 12:08 PM
Raynist is correct. They both have their pros and cons. I have both and prefer my Kalk Reactor over my Calcium Reactor.

Wryknow
08/30/2007, 01:22 PM
Check out the reef chemistry forum for lots of good info on Kalk and why you should use it. The biggest limitation of the kalk is that it may not be able to provide enough calcium for a tank with a lot of demand so you might have to supplement the kalk with a 2-part solution.

Calcium reactors are more money up-front but generally cheaper long term if you need a lot of supplementation. They can also cause headaches with your Ph if they aren't set-up and running properly.

I run a kalk reactor and add 2-part solution myself.

Randy1
08/30/2007, 04:59 PM
My Kalk reactor really dosen't do all that much. They do a poor job of mixing and the output will not likely be saterated. If I we're going to buy one or the other get a geo calcium reactor with a ph controler and never look back.

SlowCobra
08/30/2007, 05:25 PM
My PM Kalk reactor does a great job mixing. Perhaps because it uses a maxi-jet vs mangetic stirring rod.

jdieck
08/30/2007, 05:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10668224#post10668224 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by am3gross
i want to get a calcium reactor. looking at the korallin kalkreactor. is that the same thing as a calcium reactor? will it do the same thing? thanks for the help in advance.

mike gross

Just understand the difference in the equipment more than just follow the name.
In german Kalkreactor is used indistictively for either a Calcium Reactor and a Kalk reactor and when talking abbout a Kalk reactor they talk about a Nielsen.
Here we tend to make the distinction but you may not find the same from vendors.
I would say the main clue for the difference is that the Calcium reactor uses CO2, a Kalk reactor or stirrer does not.
Ca reactor uses granular calcium carbonate (aragonite) media while the Kalk reactor uses Kalkwasses (powdered lime).

As far as I understand Korallin does not make a Kalk reactor, they only make Calcium reactors.

am3gross
08/31/2007, 06:41 AM
jdieck!
you hit it on the head! it uses a co2 tank and the arm media. i was thinking of getting the the bigger reactor that is rated for 800 gallons. it is just a little more in price then the one that is rated for 400 gallons. i have a total water volumn of 400 gallons right now. am i right for wanting to go with the bigger unit? or will the one rated for 400 gallons be enough? i know that skimmers are usualy over rated and would assume that these would be the same way. right now i do not have a big supply of sps but i want to get more into it. i am tring to get everything i need before i take the full lunge. i thank everyone for there help and as i go to a mostly sps dominant tank i am sure that i will need lots more help!
thanks mike gross

jdieck
08/31/2007, 07:14 AM
As with many pieces of equipment in this hobby Calcium Reactors are often over-rated also. The issue is that they assume a regular not loades average tank when in reality a reef tank with live rock will require at least twice the capacity specially if keeping scleratinians and clams.
800 for a 400 gal reef will be about right, if your tank will really be insto sps I would recommend you think in adding a Kalk reactor for your top off as well.
The way I would go about it is to get the Kalk reactor for the start to replace all evaporation. As the sps loads increase and the alkalinity consumption exceeeds the evaporation then install the Calcium reactor.