PDA

View Full Version : RO flush kit

frags75
08/31/2007, 09:01 AM
Are they necessary? If the membrane lasts say two years than I feel I got my moneys worth. Is it just another add on companies try to sell you? Can you remove the membrane and rinse it yourself say every couple of months? I am about to purchase a new RODI and want to know which add ons I should go with or not to. Thanks for helping.

AZDesertRat
08/31/2007, 09:10 AM
A flush kit is only beneficial if you
1. Do not have a drinking water kit or auto topoff device that allows the RO to run unattended automatically. In order to be of benefit you need to flush the membrane each and every time you make water just before you shut the system down. If it runs automatically to fill a bladder tank or reservoir you are not there to flush it and its of no use.
2 As stated above you need to flush it every time you make water to remove the solids built up on the membrane. If you miss a time or two the build up begins to solidify and then no amount of flushing willk remove it.

I do not really see the benefit of a flush valve myself. I live in Phoenix with a TDS that averages 800 to over 1000, have never used one and still get 3+ years out of a heavily used RO membrane.

The key is to use high quality prefilters and carbon blocks in the smallest micron range feasable so you do not allow the solids to get to the membrane to begin with. By using a 0.5 or 0.2 micron prefilter, a 0.5 micron carbon block and manually setting my waste ratio at 4:1 I am doing the best you can to protect the membrane so I don't have to flush.