PDA

View Full Version : Medication question, please help

otrlynn
08/31/2007, 11:26 AM
I am re-posting this as I have received no replies. Hoping someone will respond the second time around.

"Is there one medication that can be effectively used that will treat both Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium) and Brooklynella? According to my reading, copper sulfate is the treatment of choice for Velvet, and Formalin and Malachite green are the treatments for Brooklynella. I believe I need to treat the fish in my QT for both before returning them to my display tank. Fish are currently symptom free (and always have been) but their previous display tankmates died of one of the above. If the diseases need to be treated w/separate meds, what would the timing be? They just went into quarantine yesterday and I plan to keep them there 6 weeks." Thanks for any help!

Also, Fenner talks about dipping new stock in a methylene blue/freshwater dip to kill parasites. Would it be sufficient to do this at the end of the 6 week period (as long as the fish continue to be symptom free) then place the fish back in the display? I want to be real sure they are not taking any parasites back into the display.

Percula9
08/31/2007, 04:33 PM
Rid ich will treat both. Formalin and malachite green will treat a variety of external parasites.

deep_sea_Dennis
09/01/2007, 08:53 AM
Melafix and Pimafix work well also

deep_sea_Dennis
09/01/2007, 08:55 AM
copper works great for parasites fungas and bacterial infections.

Percula9
09/01/2007, 07:30 PM
Copper will not treat brooklynella.

otrlynn
09/02/2007, 07:08 AM
Thanks Percula 9, and for your previous response. I also was under the impression that Copper was not the proper medication for Brooklynella. Hence my question about whether there is a single medication that is effective against both Brook and Marine Velvet. Does Rid ich contain both copper and formalin and/or malachite green? Also, I believe that Melafix and Pimafix are not intended to be used against parasites...maybe would treat secondary symptoms tho? When in the 6 week quarantine period do you suggest treating my two fish (no symptoms at present). Treat now and watch? Treat during the last 2 weeks? Also, does Rid Ich kill any nitrification bacteria. If so, I guess that means its better to leave them alone for now, and treat before putting them back in the display. Thanks

Percula9
09/02/2007, 10:31 AM
Rid-Ich does not have copper. You are correct about Melafix and Pimafix. I'm not sure if Rid-ich kills nitrifying bacteria. Only treat if they show signs of disease. Even the medicants cause some stress to the fish. Remember medicants are toxic also, but more toxic to the disease then the fish.