PDA

View Full Version : kalkwasser?

johng723
08/31/2007, 01:01 PM
Do most of you guys use kalkwasser mix to when topping off? I was told that I need to use some sort of a drip line so that it adds the kalkwasser very slowly. How would I go about doing this if I have a closed top system (24G NC)? Could I use this with a ATO as well?

PSam
08/31/2007, 02:18 PM
I top off with kalk / auto top off. Just mix appropriate amount with your RO water, good to go. With the closed top on nano cube, I use a litermeter 3, and just ran the tubing through the small opening on the back hinges.

johng723
08/31/2007, 02:29 PM
But I would need to slowly drip the kalk mix wouldn't I? I didn't think I could just dump as much water as I need to all at once. I know Kent marine has something called an aqua dose, I don't know if that's comparable to the litermeter but would I be able to use that with the autotop off system?

HDAlien
08/31/2007, 08:56 PM
The Litermeter can dose as little as 50ml per day up to 26 gallons, which covers most tanks. I'm running one with Kalk onto my 220 setup with no problems.

waterman78
08/31/2007, 09:46 PM
johng723: I too own the 24 gallon nano and I dose kalkwasser through a reptile dripper container. Not sure how much the container holds but it does the trick. I just refill the container with fresh mix whenever it's all gone. I occassionally test my Ca levels...but perform water changes ever other week. I know that there's a product named The Big Dripper that could work in your situation. Good luck.

Larry

cd77
09/01/2007, 11:21 PM
Without trying to hijack your thread as this is a little off topic of your original question, but is related...

I've been inquiring about something similar in another forum -- maybe I should have asked it here. I have a 70G tank with ~20G sump and a 5G topoff reservoir -- I'd prefer to just add kalk directly to the reservoir as I have no room for a stirrer or drip system.

Does anyone else have a similar setup and do the same thing? anyone know how to go about calculating the dosage amounts powder/RO ratio -- I'm mostly worried about my pH on a downward spiral (now just below 7.9) and was thinking kalk would be ideal for maintaining 8.3.. maybe I'm taking the wrong route.

Billybeau1
09/01/2007, 11:30 PM
cd, you can mix up to 2 tsp per gallon. This is all that will dissolve. You may want to try 1 tsp per gallon first and see how it goes.

Just try not to affect your pH more than .2 at any one time.

cd77
09/02/2007, 01:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10684946#post10684946 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
cd, you can mix up to 2 tsp per gallon. This is all that will dissolve. You may want to try 1 tsp per gallon first and see how it goes.

Just try not to affect your pH more than .2 at any one time.

no mixing? Just add the powder directly to the topoff? I can tell you my evaporation rate seems pretty slow -- I'm guessing maybe 1/3rd gal per day -- just gotta get that pH up and keep it there :)

Again, johng723, not trying to hijack your thread -- there are products out there like Reef Complete (Seachem, I think) that you just pour into your topoff reservoir (no shaking required) and they'll keep your Calcium (among others) in line -- without affecting pH. Expensive compared to limewater -- maybe someone else can shine light on that idea for you.

Billybeau1
09/02/2007, 01:28 AM
You will still want to shake Reef Complete every time you use it. It also contains Magnesium and Strontium and should be shalen well before dosing.

I would still start out with 1 tsp per gallon until you see what affect a dose has on your pH.

Bri Guy
09/02/2007, 10:19 AM
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=M3-AQUALIFTERPUMP&Category_Code=

I use one of these, get a timer that goes down to the minute, then dial down the lifter, and figure out how many 1min doses it takes to keep up with demand.

Or use it for ato, and figure out how much water it needs to replace each day, then mix your kalk into that water, but you will have to figure out roughly how much to mix to make up for demand.

Good Luck!

btw these are not nearly as reliable as the liter meter, but for the cost you can buy 2!

TracyZeuner
09/02/2007, 10:48 AM
I have a question about adding the kalk to the ATO. I am using a pump right now to add my 2-part. My pH seem a little low(7.8-8.1) and I would like to use the kalk to raise it a bit.I have a 20gal container under the tank that I use for ATO.Can I mix the kalk right in this container or does it have to be mixed in a different container and then added to this one?

Does this work for a lot of people, using both 2-part and kalk to add Ca and Alk? It seem that it might be inconsistant because you cant control the amount of evaporation from day to day.

Billybeau1
09/02/2007, 12:45 PM
Yes but once you know your evaporation rate, you can adjust the amount of lime per gallon.

Many people add both. You will probably find if you dose kalk regularly, you will probably need less 2-part so test often until you get a good feel for your numbers.

cd77
09/02/2007, 01:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10686497#post10686497 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TracyZeuner
I have a question about adding the kalk to the ATO. I am using a pump right now to add my 2-part. My pH seem a little low(7.8-8.1) and I would like to use the kalk to raise it a bit.I have a 20gal container under the tank that I use for ATO.Can I mix the kalk right in this container or does it have to be mixed in a different container and then added to this one?

Does this work for a lot of people, using both 2-part and kalk to add Ca and Alk? It seem that it might be inconsistant because you cant control the amount of evaporation from day to day.

A constant dripper wouldn't take evaporation fluctuations into account either without being connected to some type of monitor (pH/Ca)..

I've been researching this for a week now -- I'm probably having the exact same problem as you (low pH with virtually everything else in order) and I don't have room for a gravity dripper or a kalk reactor+pump so I've made an order for Mrs. Wages limewater and will try a single teaspoon added to my 5 gallon reservoir and closely monitor it. Overdosing with Kalk can do very bad things aside from just the pH fluctuations.

Right now, I'm guessing my pH problems are due to high CO2 levels in the house -- new homes are prone to this, small areas with people+pets, etc.. I'm leaving a glass of aquarium water outside for the day and re-testing it this evening -- In just two hours, my digital monitor already indicated a .1 pH increase from the water left outside vs. the water inside. You may want to do the same.

If your reef is healthy, and your other tests are OK (Ca, KH, etc..), then from what I've ready there is no need to worry until you hit 7.8 -- I'm running a steady 7.9 right now and everything appears healthy (new coral frags are open and growing, fish look healthy, Am/Ni in control) but I think a slight rise in pH will enhance my coral growth.

I don't expect to get my limewater for another couple weeks -- but feel free to PM me, and I'll let you know how my experiment works out.

...And now its time to for me to go to battle with the Aiptasia...