PDA

View Full Version : 29 gallon VHO help

TGilly
08/31/2007, 03:42 PM
I am currently setting up a 29 gallon tank for growing SPS, clams and other corals. I am planning on using four 75w VHO bulbs. Is that enough light? Also what combination of spectrums should I use for best growth and color? I was planning on hanging the fixture 6-8in from the tank. Does it need to be closer?

DarG
08/31/2007, 04:46 PM
If you dont already have the lighting, maybe consider T5. I ran VHO for over 10 years. T5 has so many advantages from bulb choices to color choices, to less wattage for more light and less heat. Which also can equate to less space needed.
The reflectors make them a better choice.
The cost would be less because the ballasts are generally alot less expensive ( IceCap for VHO vs. something like an Advance for T5) and the bulbs are a dollar or two less but last atleast twice as long. The only added expense are the reflectors but they are a one time purchase and the difference in ballast price usually offsets that. Plus, you can also run the HO bulbs at V-HO for more output with IceCap ballasts.

I'm not an expert on what all the different corals specifically need for light but over a 29 gallon, but 4 24watt T5's with reflectors would be plenty to keep what you want. 1/3 the wattage compared to the 4 X 75 watt VHO and less heat.

You can get a 4 bulb x 24" 24 watt T5 retro with ballasts, Reflectors and the best bulbs for $269.
A 2 bulb x 24" 24 watt T5 retro complete for $139.

Otherwise ... VHO typically should be 3" - 4" over the water.

TGilly
08/31/2007, 05:13 PM
I have an icecap 660 ballast. I thought it could only be used with T12. I didn't realize that T5 is brighter than VHO. I'm new to saltwater so I don't know much about lighting.

pete620
08/31/2007, 05:15 PM
I agree with the above post. I'm looking into an aquactinics 24" TX5 fixture for my 29, (They are going to be putting out extension legs so the fixture will fit a 30" tank.) or you could use a retro kit.

DarG
08/31/2007, 05:39 PM
If you already have an IceCap 660 ballast, you can purchase the T5 endcaps and mounts, bulbs and reflectors and use the IceCap for T5. There is one caveat, if the ballast is old I dont think it will properly run T5's. If it's a new or recent ballast you are set.
The IceCap does overdrive T5 however. The bulbs do need to be fan cooled and they wont last as long as if they were on a standard HO ballast. You could do 3 T5's with reflectors on that ballast and you would have plenty of light. 2 T5's may even be enough. T5's do have more Lumens per watt compared to VHO but it is the reflectors that make them the more effective, efficient lighting source. It's not just the spread of light that is superior but also the penetration into the tank. All in all, T5 is a step ahead from VHO.

Of course, you can also just run VHO if you are so inclined. But T5 is definitely something to consider if you havent already bought bulbs and endcaps for the VHO.

TGilly
08/31/2007, 05:57 PM
Its a pretty old ballast so I don't think it can run the T5s. For now I'm stuck with VHO. What combination of bulbs should I use? 2 daylight, 2 actinic? Thanks for the help!

DarG
08/31/2007, 07:00 PM
I always ran 2 Super actinic and 2 Actinic White. But I'm not sure on the older IceCap ballasts. You should ask about their compatibility with T5 on the IceCap forum.

TGilly
08/31/2007, 07:18 PM
I will do that. Thanks alot for the help!

DarG
08/31/2007, 07:22 PM
U R Welcome!

Entropy
08/31/2007, 08:28 PM
What color are you looking for? The two actinic, two 50/50 described above gives you a pretty stark white/blue combo. To add a bit of warmth you can add a daylight (Aquasun) bulb. It adds a bit of yellow to lessen the harshness. I have tried pretty much all the bulb combos for the 4 bulb setup (mine were 110w, but it is the same percentage). I also settled on the 2 actinic and 2 actinic white (50/50).

Personally I think the actinic is much better on VHO than anything T5 has to offer so you are not settling for 2nd best IMO. You could always have IceCap upgrade your ballast to accept either type and then I believe you could mix and match.

DarG
09/01/2007, 11:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10678929#post10678929 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Entropy
Personally I think the actinic is much better on VHO than anything T5 has to offer so you are not settling for 2nd best IMO. You could always have IceCap upgrade your ballast to accept either type and then I believe you could mix and match.

I thought so too until I built my lighting rack to accept either VHO super actinic or T5 Super actinic and tried them both. The T5's are also driven (overdriven) with IceCap ballasts. I went with the UVL T5 super actinic instead of the VHO. The color is very close but the T5's with reflectors had a larger impact on the color of the tank with the halides. I have to believe that there is more output from the overdriven actinic T5 and again, I can run either type.

kysard1
09/03/2007, 07:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10681639#post10681639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DarG
I thought so too until I built my lighting rack to accept either VHO super actinic or T5 Super actinic and tried them both. The T5's are also driven (overdriven) with IceCap ballasts. I went with the UVL T5 super actinic instead of the VHO. The color is very close but the T5's with reflectors had a larger impact on the color of the tank with the halides. I have to believe that there is more output from the overdriven actinic T5 and again, I can run either type.

Were these 24" bulbs? I would think VHO would have an advantage with these short and lower wattage bulbs.

DarG
09/03/2007, 08:23 PM
No, 48" T5, 46.5" VHO. The T5 is at 80 - 85 watts on the IceCap ballast and with the reflector it is brighter, or I should say, gets more light into the tank than the VHO.